University education should not be free (1 Viewer)

curly

"UNiversity education should not be free"what are people's point of view with regard to arguments for and agaisnt?

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Yeah, I believe that we should pay some. HECS was a great idea (well, it was an ALP policy ;) ) because we contributed to our higher education, but for most of us who can't afford thousands up front, we could defer it to a point were we could repay our fees. And it was intrest free!

I disagree with the Liberal policy to faze out HECS and introduce 3.5% interest loans, to repay fees of $50,000+, pegged to the CPI.

Pretty much, someone needs to pay for Universities, and HECS was the best way to do it. It allowed equal access based on merit, not wealth. It's fair for everyone.

pranks85

I think uni education should by no means be free - but it shouldn't be paid in money. It should be paid in work & talent to stop people taking advantage of it.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
LOL.. maybe I misunderstood. I took it as eventually fazing out HECS and replacing it with another system where you borrow money off the government to pay fees, but you have to pay interest on it - a few HECS places would remain for the amazingly academic kids around the place.

But thats how I took it, I could be wrong.

But I still reckon HECS is a great scheme - somebody needs to foot the bill, and while education (primary and high) should be free, the proportion of the population that goes to university I don't think it's fair that taxpayers should have to pay all of that. HECS allows anyone, academic merit permitting, to go to University if they choose to regardless of their finanical situation (obviously that will effect whether or not you can go, but HECS makes it a hell of alot easier) .

But thats just what I reckon.

~ForAGoodCause~

always been the easy kill
Can we take a ride? ... get out of this place whil
HSC
yeh ppl should pay for uni degrees, and hecs is a good way, however i think that gettin into uni should be purely based on the UAI, and ppl with money ( local fee paying or international students) should not be able to get into a course with a lower UAI just bcos they have money, i mean they r taking up a spot of sum1 who did better than them and deserves it more. like my friend got into a course which need a UAI of 95, and she only got a UAI of 80, and stil got in bcos she paid.... thats just BS

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Yeah, UNI is a huge financial drain and it's a stressful pain in the arse, but fair is fair...we should all pay our way. HECs is great it lets people get in education who might otherwise beheld back by financial burden, and I don't think theres really too much to complan about the situation as it is right now...but if the reforms pass, then fuck!

pinkbella

Dancing naked in the moonlight (can't handle it? d
I think we should pay for it. It's not general knowledge (and lets face it, nothing after year 2 was relevant at school, but they needed something to occupy us for our childhoods besides slave labour), it's specilisation. I think the current HECS system is great because it gives everybody a chance to go, even those who can't afford it now, but will someday.

If we just gave it out for free, so many people would abuse the system, so there has to be a contribution made.
But I don't agree with full fee paying, because somebody who's really intelligent, worked hard and has always dreamed of doing law could get 94 and miss out, but some slack ass who's got a rich family and did fuck all during the HSC could buy their way in with 65. It's just not fair that way.

So yeah, I'm all for the current system. It should definitely be selected on merit, and paid for. The government's stupid changing it.

B

Bambul

Pretty much the same as everyone else. If full fee paying people are extra people whose fee payments pay for their entire place, and do not take away another students position, then I have no problem with full-fee paying students - provided they have access to funding for the fees (which I believe is one of the new proposals, though I think $50k is too low).

I do remember one letter in the SMH with someone pointing out that going to university (and I'm using rough figures here) increases your lifetime earnings by about $500,000. That means about $200,000-$250,000 extra taxes over their lifetime, which would presumably pay for their degree with extra.

I also remember talking to someone who went to uni in the mid 70's when uni was free and telling me that a lot of her colleagues at uni were there because it was free and didn't put much effort in. As a result, there were students who wanted to be in uni who missed out and were prepared to pay.

Personally, I don't have a huge problem with the government charging students more for uni - *provided* that the government also increases funding for universities.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Hmmm, we all complain about fee-paying students, but the bottom line is-Universitys need those people to pump in extra money. I totally agree that it isn't fair to those who worked really hard but missed out by a few marks, but it would cost everyone more money if UNIs didn't have that scheme.

jessika

law chicky
HSC
Originally posted by Cyph

Personally, I don't think the 5k/year I'm paying is worth it, but that's just me.
just think theres people paying more than that a year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)