UNI marking...Boo! (1 Viewer)

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
I am so completely pissed off with the way exams/assessments are marked at UNI! I just got back my marks for a mid semester exam...and I failed. (8/20!:( ) I was totally confused cos I had seriously studied for it and thought the exam was totally straightforward...I have no idea where I went wrong with it! We get an opportunity to re-sit the exam (thank god!!!), but if I don't manage to pass with this one, I have to repeat the course next year. :mad1: So I asked my lecturer if I could see my exam or speak to her about it, and she said no, because she is too busy, and she can't single me out, blah blah blah...how unbelievably shite is that? I have to go do the exam again and just take a wild stab in he dark at what the fuck we're meant to be doing. And for all I know, she just stuffed up the mark and I actually did pass. And there are about 20 others in the exact same boat as me...none of us know whats going on!:mad1:
Same goes for our psychology assessments...instead of doing one big assessment, we just had to hand in 4 responses over the course of the semester, each 250 words long. Eaaaaasy! However-We didn't get back the marks for the first response til after the 3rd one already had to be handed in. I only got a pass for it...and no feedback as to where I went wrong. And I had done the next 2 the exact same way as the first, so I was shit scared that I was gonna do heaps badly. I ended up getting a credit for the second one, so I guess I'll do OK...but yeah, everyones marks are all over the shop (one of my friends got a HD for her first one and a F for her 2nd one), and the lecturers refuse to give feedback to anyone on what we did right/wrong, so how are we suposed to do better? "Learn From Your mistakes"-isn't that what we were told all through our high school days?!
Also...different lecturers mark different peoples papers, and don't seem to care about if the marks are consistent or not. I'm just hoping to pass, so that doesn't bother me too much, but too bad for people who want to get a transfer/scholarship or something, and you kept getting stuck with a shit marker while some other loser sails through and gets a HD with ease!
Argh...! I'm very pissed off.
/end rant.

Is anyone else in the same situation? Or do you all actually get your exams back?:confused:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
heh...

I think this university system is a wake-up call. I think most, if not all uni's do the same (not give back exams), simply cos that's not the aim of the exams...the purpose of the uni exams is to test your understanding, not your ability to study...but yeah, I'd still like to see where I went wrong in an exam too...as my Microeconomics lecturer-in-charge put it:

"With unlimited student wants, and limited teaching resources, there's just no way the exams can be given back...if u want to recheck the marks, u do so at your own risk. If, after the recheck, u dont gain more than 2 marks better than your original mark, u will have to forfeit 2 marks - that's ur opportunity cost yadda yadda"

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
If you really want to, you can pursue it. I checked out all of my exams last year, heh.

http://www.usyd.edu.au/su/recserv/exam/exams.html#xref012

ACCESS TO COMPLETED EXAMINATION SCRIPTS
The NSW Freedom of Information Act provides that students may, upon request, obtain [a copy of] their examination scripts or any other written answers to examinations questions, provided that;

a) the request is made within three months of the release of the results of the examinations.
b) the examination involved was not a confidential examination paper.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by Minai

"With unlimited student wants, and limited teaching resources, there's just no way the exams can be given back...
How long could it possibly take to hand back an assessment though? It's already been marked...they just have to pick it up, and put it in your hand. Everyones a winner!
I just don't get it!:confused:

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
i had the exact same thing happen to me at the start of the year...i handed in three assessments on roughly the same topic in quick succession, and didnt get the first one back until the week after i had handed in the last one. i failed the first one, and made the same mistakes in the next two as well, cos i had no feedback....ended up failing the first two and only narrowly passing the next.

it's definately a wake up call

but you're only in your first semester, you have plenty of time to make up for it

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by um..

but you're only in your first semester, you have plenty of time to make up for it
But I do all new subjects next semester...I only have like 3 weeks to make up for it!:(

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
uh..............looks like it's time to turn to some hardcore drug useage?

nah, it'll turn out alright. and if it doesn't, just kick up a storm, tell them the same stuff you told us. it doesn't sound like a very fair system

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
yer for accg100, we've had 3 exams and all we get is our marks.
acst151 we go through the exam and get out paper back, but the paper doesn't say where you lost marks and makes it hard to scab.

surprisingly for comp115, they show us solutions. And even better in stat171 they give us the tyets during tut and go through it.

I'd guess the main reason for not giving you test back is coz the teachers are lazy and want to reuse the questions.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by -=MLhtʻ=-
I'd guess the main reason for not giving you test back is coz the teachers are lazy and want to reuse the questions.
Too true! Although, there excuse is - the course is too limited to ask any other questions!

jessika

law chicky
HSC
Originally posted by Butterfly_Wings

Is anyone else in the same situation? Or do you all actually get your exams back?:confused:
I dont get the exams back, but thats because I think they use similar exams each year, like the questions are kind of different but along the same lines so they cant give the exams back. However, my teacher for maths sits down and goes through the exam individually with you after you have done it to show you where you went wrong, sweet as.
I so far though have gotten my essays back, but thats cause they never you the same style or the same question each year so it wont help a first year student next year if I give them all my assessments.

GTR

HSC
I don't get my exams back either :(
All my marks are posted on WEBCT and there is no feedback whatsoever as to where i went wrong.
The good thing is that i have gotten my reports and essays back with very good feedback, which is a plus for future assessments.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)