Tutoring (1 Viewer)

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
Im thinking of becoming a tutor to HSC students of my former subjects, but I am wondering, what does a person exactly do when they tutor? Is it just generally going over the texts, giving a set list of techniques or something? Like, do I give them notes I've written or help them make their own? Do I set homework up?

Any advive would be greatly appreciated.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
English tutoring I would imagine would involve checking their essays through with them and making suggestions on how they could improve them, and then getting them to rewrite using your suggestions for the next week.

Persephone87

Parlez Francais!
HSC
Yeah, I would be doing english I think.

I feel a bit retarded though, because what if I tell them what I think is not necessarily right?

And how to look professional?

somecooldude

HSC
well you dont really have to look professional. just wear like smart casual.

my english tutor gives me notes from like those study guide books and she helps me with like guiding me with my studying before an assessment and telling me the key things i should be aware of for this particular assessment.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I tutor English.... basically what I do is proofread/go through essays/other writing with people. If they have questions about the texts I try to explain and help them understand. If they have an assessment/homework/essay that they need help to write we discuss it so they can synthesize their ideas and figure out what direction to take with the essay. If we don't have anything else to work on I will find them questions for practice essays, print out any good notes that I come across... have a discussion about something of interest in the text.

I try to keep to atmosphere quite informal so that everyone is comfortable... tutoring shouldn't be stressful in my opinion. I also try to be really positive and encouraging.

That's how I do things.... when I started tutoring it was a bit scary but you will find your own style.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)