Turning pints of WW1 (1 Viewer)

HSC
Yeah ok well thats very nice for you figjam.
Anyway turning points (in no real order because my memorys not the best at the moment):

1) Failure of the Schlieffen Plan (Battle of the Marne)
2) Sinking of Lucitania (Military entry of USA) and therefore
3) Unrestricted submarine warfare
4) Passchendaele (3rd Ypres) - success of bite and hold tactics even though battle was in the end lost.
5) Battle of Amiens (introduction of new tactics)
6) Decision to move troops directly from Eastern to Western front.
7) Failure of Spring Offensive and Allied response (yes taken almost directly from syllabus but its accurate for once).
8) French Mutinies - led to change in French High Command and left US and Britain to take offensive role.
9) Poor harvests in Germany 1916/17 - led to starvation and low morale, 'total war' was far less effective.

Thatll do for now i think.

Oh, i agree with Nelsonian about the blockade, as it was static and was a continuous presence for the entire war i dont think it can be considered a turning point as such. Whilst it certainly had a strong impact on Germany's economy and resources it by no means was a catalyst for change in the momentum of the war.

Last edited:

darcho

HSC
N/A
-FIGJAM- said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcho
What about the leadership of Ho Chi Minh? I think him leading the viet cong to victory over the allies was a major turning point.

Darcho you must stop opening car doors with your head. Everyone knows Ho Chi Minh was the girlfriend of that famous Asian gangsta rapper Dien Bien Phu....word!

TOOLS....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Go ....home ....FATMAN!!!
Your parents don't like you, hence why you are a border!!

Right...(some people take this forum waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to seriously i.e. Figjam)....

Aceagain

HSC
I agree with most of the points mentioned, however I think they can be narrowed down to a few broader events. I believe the major turning points of the war could include the following:

1. The Failure of the Schlieffen Plan
2. The Battle of the Somme (which leads to a defensive war; of attrition-ends hopes of an "old-fashioned" war of movement which leaders expected)
3. Successful u-Boat campaign (both in restricting supplies to Britain, and in contributing into the entrance of the US)
4. The Withdrawal of Russia
5. America entering the War
6. Battle of Verdun (broke the French army - was never able to recover morale levels)
7. Failure of Spring Offensive
8. ...and dare I say it, The Treaty of Versailles & the betrayal of the Fourteen Points. (This is included to show the humiliation of Germany, combined with the chaos the Treaty throws Germany into post-Great War.)

reh

Long Thick Member
HSC
Several details on a couple of key events include;
  • Russian withdrawal = The russian revolution meant that the eastern front collapsed allowing 500,000 germans to go to the western front. Also the Bolschevik Revolution meant that such ideals filtered into germany in preceding months, thus degrading support for the war by german civilians leading to strikes and riots.
  • The Spring Offensive and subsequent failure meant that the Germans had dealt a final blow with flailing numbers, but the front was then stretched longer and held by a smaller number of soldiers. The defence was then conducted in temporary lines, unlike the solid Hindenburg Line.
  • The Zimmerman Telegram was the USA's legitimate reason to enter the war. However it was not so much the US's influence on the battlefield (which was minimal - considering the numbers that actually saw battle), but the threat of endless supply of resources and men, that kept German morale at a low.
Hope these small notes are helpful:wave:

HSC
darcho said:
What about the leadership of Ho Chi Minh? I think him leading the viet cong to victory over the allies was a major turning point.

no

there are two turning points as per the syllabus
stick to it, don't invent your own turning points

laurennn91

HSC
the turning points that you actually have to know (in the syllabus, under 'turning points') are:

1. Russian Withdrawal
2. US Entry
3. The Spring Offensive (and counter-offensive)

and the significance of each one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)