Trouble memorising notes (1 Viewer)

Arithela

HSC
I write out very concise notes for each dot point, but the next day I have trouble remembering them, despite having written them out numerous times the night before. Maybe this is because I write out notes for my other subjects as well, I really don't know.

So this brings to a very general question: Whats the best approach towards memorising notes?

Zephyrio

HSC
Hm, do you understand the topics? My maths teacher says, "Gosh, people write but they don't actually WRITE!" - in other words, people may write, but not register what it's saying?

You might try recording your notes and listening to this as you read over your notes? Or colour code your notes, or making mindmaps?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Notes? Here's what I do -

Upon finishing a sectino of notes, RE-READ WHAT YOU HAVE WRITTEN TO MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND IT. You only need to write notes ONCE, never write it twice.
Step by step, basically -

1. write notes
2. re-read notes
3. 24 hrs later re-read the notes
4. 3 days later re-read the same notes
5. 3 days again, read the notes and summarise if you can.

Read your notes on a monthly or termly basis.

Arithela

HSC
Yes I do understand the topics. Recording and listening is too much of a hassle for me to do on a nighly basis so I think I'll pass on that method. I don't see how colour coding helps me memorise notes, but feel free to share some light on this.

tommykins, that would be an ideal approach for me as well, as time is often an issue. Would writing the notes only once and just keep re-reading be more effective than re-writing the notes over and over?

Zephyrio

HSC
Well if you understand the topics and know the relevant points, then there isn't much use "memorising" your notes is there? The responses you write in exams and in tasks need not be carbon copies of your notes; in most cases, you will need to modify or amalgamate your information/knowledge into responses for questions.

And people learn differently. Maybe using colour - i.e. pink for definitions or something will help because different catalysts trigger different memories. E.g. a smell can trigger memories of an event decades ago. Make flash cards or something which you can use while travelling or look at a syllabus dot point and pretend you're giving an oral presentation to test what you would say.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Apart from understanding the concepts, try to utilise and put it into practice. That's when past papers come in- maybe questions will trigger your mind!

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Arithela said:
tommykins, that would be an ideal approach for me as well, as time is often an issue. Would writing the notes only once and just keep re-reading be more effective than re-writing the notes over and over?
Yes. Writing it takes an hour, and only takes 10 minutes max to read. Through your first reading (24 hrs later) get a highlighter and highlight important points [ key words, trigger words ] and when you sumamrise your notes, it'll be easier since one word leads to a sentence.

If your notes are essay like notes, you will only remember 70% of it, as opposed to using trigger words where you can brainstorm and feed out essay/exam like answers.

Try it, it should help :)

Kujah

HSC
N/A
You supposedly memorise 95% of your content better if you teach it to someone.

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
make sure they are detailed but put them into dot points, that way they are simpler to read. Just like tommykins said, essay-like notes will not work ! well they're less effective.

live.fast

HSC
N/A
If you're going to memorise, don't write, then re'write, whilst still looking at the original? Practice whilst not looking. Alot. And try not to mix subjects up in one day - one day = 2 subjects MAX I'd say. Unless you do maths, which you don't really need to memorise as much as practice.

samwell

HSC
it depends on which subject u r doin. Read the info first before writting the notez. Try to understand wat u r gonna summarise. Always works when idont understand wat ia m writtin. after doing this question uaself. should be okay. try to learn than memorise.

Mind-Revolution

Nothing Else Matters...
HSC
N/A
Arithela said:
I write out very concise notes for each dot point, but the next day I have trouble remembering them, despite having written them out numerous times the night before. Maybe this is because I write out notes for my other subjects as well, I really don't know.

So this brings to a very general question: Whats the best approach towards memorising notes?
It is true as stated above...when you are attempting to teach / explain a concept / idea to someone else, you have a greater understanding of the content itself. Perhaps you could try that.

I see you do Biology and Physics, personally I don't believe they require too many notes, even for the dot points. So...

Perhaps, instead of strictly remembering sequential notes...
  • Create a very basic mind map with the central idea / concept in the middle of the page, i.e., Gravity written in the middle of the mind map.
  • Next, you could write only very specific aspects of the concept branched from the central idea, i.e...
  1. Force of attraction,
  2. Is a force, thus causes mass to accelerate.
  3. Acceleration due to gravity = g.
  4. g only depends on the Universal Gravitational Constant, planet's mass, and planet's radius (of course, if measured at the surface only).
  5. Force of gravity via Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation.
  6. Etc...
Of course, merely a suggestion, your mind may not find that technique useful in the least.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
For Chemistry, I guess reading and understanding before taking notes are the prerequisites. DON'T take any notes from the books when you understand nothing and when you understand nothing, you can't take relevant info from the teachers either. Do, read the topics until you understand it adequately to catch up with what your teacher will lecture before going to class. When taking notes, creating a mind-map is not a bad idea and diagrams are suitable. But I think when you can internalize the lessons at the first time you encounter it then it won't take too much time to revise the lessons without even taking notes.

Maths: of course the more you practise, the more deeply the formulae are carved in your mind. Quite simple.

English: commenting in this forum will help! lolz

So, notes are good for some but not all. If you find memorizing your notes is too difficult, change it! Like some other people suggest

draw pictures and stick them on the walls or everywhere you must go to at least once. [not implying the loo]

discussing with friend is the most effective way I have to say,

explaining to someone else is also good but you'll find it boring soon when that audience doesn't give a sign of having some idea (that's frustrating)

Remember: as long as you truly madly deeply understand the lessons, you have no difficulty when retrieving it. If you find it hard, start from the beginning 'cuz otherwise you can be confused between concepts and explanations. Don't try to re-understand st 'cuz actually you have never made it yours, you've just assumes it!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)