trials? important? (1 Viewer)

mojo

hey jus a q, how much does the trial 2 affect the UAI?
eg fail trial -> fail UAI? or great trial -> great UAI?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Your trial exams are just like any other assessment task.

There's nothing special about them.

SkAnDi

HSC
No marks are actually decided until the HSC exams are sat, and then it's how your school goes in them.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
trials basically finalise your rankings heading into the HSC
so if u do crap in trials, compared with the rest of ur grade, ur ranking will be negatively affected

but its not all doom and gloom yet - if u and ur cohort do extremely well in the HSC exam, for the given subject, ur mean will be higher, translating into higher moderated assessment marks

icki

if ur trials r over...
that's no point worrying bout it
focus on what's ahead

no actually...relax for now...focus later

Morgues

Originally posted by flyin'
most trials (not all) are worth around half your internal (school) assessment mark. so the trial helps to determine not only rankings, but also the relative gaps. and because your internal mark counts for half your total marks (the other half from the external assessment - the hsc), it is so bloody important.
I dont think its a 50/50, let me just say you would much rather screw up your ranking rather then the HSC

People have pulled their HSC out of jail by studying these 8-9 weeks even though their rankings were rather poor.......

lappang

Dunaferr NK soon FCK
HSC
N/A
In theory they count and so does every bloody other assessment that we do but the $1000000000000000000000000 question is will they in "reality" use our assessment marks??????

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Technically, the marks are used to determine your ranking, but they don't in themselves contribute anything to your UAI.

bellicoseboy

Just what, exactly, do Trial marks and ranks really mean? Can a UAI be predicted from these? Is it valid to take class ranks and shove them in as percentiles in lazseeker?

For example: If I got 5th in a class of 21, that means I'm in the top 24%. So I put 24th percentile in lazseeker advanced?

I did that for all my subjects, and it gave me a UAI of about 95. Then I showed my marks to my dad (who's a school teacher), and he said they'd get me about 80.

Could *someone* (lazarus) explain?

And, and... for uni courses that require a separate application and details of your trial marks...
What happens if your school had hard trials and the best marks were about 60-70%. That's not going to look great on a uni application. How do the unis assess trial marks?

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Just what, exactly, do Trial marks and ranks really mean?

Trial marks are the same as any other assessment task. They are nothing special. Your ranks are used to determine your moderated assessment mark, nothing else.

Can a UAI be predicted from these? Is it valid to take class ranks and shove them in as percentiles in lazseeker?

No, you cannot predict a UAI solely from trial and/or assessment marks. It is not valid to convert your class ranking to a percentile for use in LazSeeker. The percentiles it uses refer to your position in the state corresponding to your HSC mark. HSC marks are what the program uses - this mark is the average of your moderated assessment mark and your aligned exam mark. Raw assessment marks/rankings are neither of these, let alone the average of both. You need to estimate your HSC marks in order to have a hope of estimating your UAI accurately.

And, and... for uni courses that require a separate application and details of your trial marks... What happens if your school had hard trials and the best marks were about 60-70%. That's not going to look great on a uni application. How do the unis assess trial marks?

I think most universities also ask for your class ranking - if not, include it anyway in parentheses next to your mark. e.g. Chemistry - 65% (Rank: 3/24) I'm sure they're also aware of the fact that trial HSC exam marks are not indicative of final HSC marks. Hmm, I remember our student advisor at school last year also told us to write our overall assessment mark for a course instead of the trial HSC mark if the assess mark was higher. Don't know if that's valid or not, but the universities wouldn't be able to tell anyway. Not that I'm advising you to do that. :)

blah

I am blah
HSC
is the aligned exam mark the actual mark u get in the HSC exam for a subject?

or is it modified

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Your aligned exam mark is your exam mark after it has been aligned to the performance bands - it is not your raw mark.

blah

I am blah
HSC
wots that mean? can u gimme an example plz thnx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)