Transfering to eco & com.. (1 Viewer)

The_DJ

HSC
Hi guys.. I got offered for a Main Round offfer in Sydney doing a B Agricultural Economics, which wasnt my first preferrence.. I wanted to do com/arts, eco, eco&socsc and even socsc but i missed out.. If I were still interested in doing one of these courses would i still be able to do it even though the subjects are different? If so, what marks would i need to achieve?

Thanks, any suggestions would help..

memo

D average would almost get you anywhere in transfers. I would think a high credit average should get you into arts/commerce after one year.

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
actually you need a d average to be in with a chance to trasnfer into a commerce or economics degree!! entry to those degrees are very competitive!! your around 10 points off a b. commerce, i'd you'd need to work for a d- hd average!!

The_DJ

HSC
Thanks for those replies.. it was really bugging me.. can the first year subjects within agri eco(econ,ecmt,agec,mktg(elective)) count towards the course im transferring into..

The_DJ

HSC
It seems that I've got a lot of hard work ahead of me.. ergh.. but yeah i suppose if i really want it bad i think i could do it.. how about social sciences and major in economics.. i only missed out by a little.. do you reckon i have a chance..

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
to trasnfer to arts/commerce you could scrap in with a credit average since your not so far from the cut off. but a distinction average would be needed to trasnfer to com lib.

The_DJ

HSC
Originally posted by melbournian
why not just do arts anyway and major in economics?

unless you really want to do the major in sociology & social policy or want the social policy internship, an arts degree would be far more flexible.

Btw, if you enjoy AgEcit has strong employment outcomes, even better than Ec, which has a significant lack of demand (the number of BEc graduates in Australia has dropped significantly in the last decade).
Yeah.. I've considered doing an arts or soc sci degree, then doing a masters in commerce.. Its seems like an easier path to take.. but then how will they take into account the first year subjects i did for AgEc i do get a transfer? I don't think the arts faculty can transfer these subjects to an arts degree..I just dont understand how that process works..

Also I do like the idea that AgEc offers an internship which gains experience in the field i want to enter.. its just that i dont like the focus this course has in maths.. I did well in my HSC maths exam but dont like the idea of doing that amount of study for four entire years!!!

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
actually you might be able to get credit for your first year AgEc subjects to form as part as your ELECTIVES. i'm not sure of the degree rules and structure, but i would say you would get full credit for everything under an arts degree. remember that you much have 1 arts major.

Matthew_152

Is it true that the Bachelor of Commerce is better recognised and has more career opportunities than the Bachelor of Economics even if u do the same majors?
I got into BEc with a UAI of 91.50 (which was exactly the cut-off)...do i need a distinction average to transfer to the Bachelor of Commerce?
Also, because I only did General Maths last year, do u think i will struggle with the compulsary business and economics statistics subjects...or do they teach u the basics first?

Last edited:

Dingo2004

2 6 C 4 U
HSC
actually first off all i spoke to the sydney uni person, they said first off all u need a distinction average to even be considered for b com b eco etc.... so if you dont have a d average then dont even bother applying, coz they wont even look at it.
secondly you also need a UAI of AT LEAST 90.00 to be considered as well as a D average
if you have a UAI of 89.95 and a D average, you will NOT be considered.

so basically its very VERY competitive, you need a D average as well as a uai above 90.

thats what i was told.

THE END

Blai213

Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
Personally, i think that B.AgEcon > B.Econ .... Why ? Because, there are soooo many econ grads, and when u grad u wanna stand out a bit more and be a bit more specialized .... which Ag does .... also with the huge ag sector in Australia, and all thes trade agreements or potential ones with china etc .... there will be a huge future in Ag ....

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
hey cakes, commerce and commerce/arts are the same cutoff.. you just plonk the 2nd degree on it

comm lib you would have to do science units + a writing unit. you need to think about how many arts units you actually want to do... i know people who are doing commerce/arts who find it's TOO artsy, similarly you might find you won't get to study everything you want in a 4 year degree.
i'm doing comm lib and it's excellent, extremely flexible plus it's a year less than comm/arts. you also won't have to do those dead boring 1st year subjects (like accounting aka the DEVIL!!)

the mainround cutoff this year was 97.6 and only slightly higher in the next round. you can definitely transfer into it with a D average this year. plus anything and everything you did this year should get credited.. comm lib is pretty crazy in that regard :p

aNg3L_iReNe

Irene was here....
Originally posted by Blai213
Personally, i think that B.AgEcon > B.Econ .... Why ? Because, there are soooo many econ grads, and when u grad u wanna stand out a bit more and be a bit more specialized .... which Ag does .... also with the huge ag sector in Australia, and all thes trade agreements or potential ones with china etc .... there will be a huge future in Ag ....
do u do ag ec??? lol

monzi

HSC
transfering

I go to la trobe university in bundoora which is the big campus and i know a guy who went to the albury wodonga campus in victoria who got a uai of 51.95 got into a business degree killed it got all HD's in both semesters and got into the faculty of economics and business ... his currently doing his second year there so i think it's possible if this guy got a uai of 51 and you got a uai of 85 to transfer.

8Ball

HSC
hey, a friend of mine got UAI 93.5 and wants to transfer to B.Com (UAI cutoff was 95.05 last year) next year...will she scrape through with a Credit average or will need higher??

Last edited:

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
She'll probably need a bit higher than a credit average. The general rule is you need about a Distinction average if your UAI was slightly below the cut-off. But yeah the actual GPA needed varies each year, so yeah she'll need to just maximise her uni marks to give her the best chance of transferring.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)