titration process? (1 Viewer)

jimmik

HSC
can someone plz explain the reason for certain steps in the titration process wen referring to the use of equipment in preparing a standard solution etc. i keep getting confused y u have to wash the pipette in acid or is that with distilled water before diluting the solution etc.

Affinity

HSC
General principles
If a piece of glassware is used to MEASURE volume of something, then it should be washed with the solution that is intented to be measured.

If a piece of glassware is used to hold a MEASURED AMOUNT of something, it should only be washed with distilled water NOT with anything else

The reason for the first principle is that you don't want distilled water remaining in the glassware to dilute the solution you want to measure, hence getting less of the 'substance' you want eg. acids/bases. The glasswares which fit in this category are pipettes and burettes

Following the second principle prevents the introduction of additional substances. Concentration here doesn't matter, because the amount of say acid molecues are fixed, dilution does not change how much acid(or base) the pipette has transfer.
so with HSC titrations, the flask should be washed by water

jimmik

HSC
thanks affinity! *pats bak* gud job explaining, that was so much simpler to understand than wat my teacher (who cant teach btw) says. it makes sense now. i fink i may hav hope in chem yet =)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
It isnt just glassware ;) Basically measuring devices have to be washed with the substances you are using, including the funnel if you are using one to pour it into the burrette.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)