Those law threads... (1 Viewer)

Lainee

HSC
Can someone point me to some of those threads comparing law between UNSW & USyd? I never thought I'ld actually have the UAI to get in, so I didn't pay much attention to them. Should actually read them now that I have to face the task of choosing which. I remember a particularly amusing one where Asquithian was fighting a losing battle. Forgot the details, just remember thinking 'those suckers, I'll never be faced with the problem of choosing btw the two unis'. :rolleyes: ;)

Anyway, might be useful to have a list of those links around this time of year so that new threads won't be started on the age-old debate.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Lainee said:
Can someone point me to some of those threads comparing law between UNSW & USyd? I never thought I'ld actually have the UAI to get in, so I didn't pay much attention to them. Should actually read them now that I have to face the task of choosing which. I remember a particularly amusing one where Asquithian was fighting a losing battle. Forgot the details, just remember thinking 'those suckers, I'll never be faced with the problem of choosing btw the two unis'. :rolleyes: ;)

Anyway, might be useful to have a list of those links around this time of year so that new threads won't be started on the age-old debate.

Try the "Law" sub-forum within this forum! =)

Lainee

HSC
I'm looking around for them, just could use some help. :)

doggogo8

HSC
i think both make not much as a difference >< . but still check out the threads!!!!
i might be wrong :p

is a roflcopter
HSC
just come nsw
i can be your mentor ;)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I think you'll find an overwhelming majority of UNSW'ers in this forum. (Good luck suvat!), so I'd say seek independant sources.
You have to say what you're combining law with, and where you want to end up with your degree, so that a comparision could be more easily attainable..

Lainee

HSC
Thanks for the links Jennifer - I knew there were heaps somewhere!

Yeah, they probably won't help, but need to hear a few opinions anyway just to tip the scale either way. I'll probably end up choosing one or the other on some silly reason (like having Newbie as a mentor ;) ).

Minai - Yeah and UNSW'ers seem overly loyal toward their uni that it makes me wonder. :) I'm not sure what to combine with yet. Thinking between Arts (Philosophy), Commerce (Finance), Economics, or Science (Psychology). :rolleyes: Too many interests...

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
everyone please pray for my planned defection! :D hopefully my sem2 results would show something positive tomorrow.

Lainee

HSC
Asquithian said:
-UNSW law school has more research centres than any other law school in Australia
-UNSW law and UTS law created Austlii
-no other law school has won more overseas scholarships than unsw law in the past 7 years (Rhodes and Fulbright etc). In the last 7 years unsw has won 5 Rhodes Scholarships - no other law school has matched this.
- UNSW law has above average student satisfaction ratings

Usyd from what I've heard is also excellent. Many would argue that usyd tops unsw due to its prestige (large alumni, age and sandstone)...but in terms of teaching i doubt there is much difference.
Hey thanks, that really helps. :)

I'm not really looking for one that's necessary 'better' than the other - just one that'll suit me best. Having USyd refered to as a sandstone uni actually turns me off it a bit, it makes it seem as if it doesn't have a forward looking focus - too black letter law and maybe a bit stagnant. I know that's probably not true, but it's the shadow-side of the impression I get of it.

USyd is probably 10-15 minutes closer for me than UNSW is anyway. Quite a bit considering it'll take me 1.5hrs to get to UNSW. But I don't think it's too wise to choose it cause it shaves 20 minutes off my travelling time.

UNSW claims of a 'social justice' focus really sells it for me. But it's really only advertising, so it's best not to take it at face value.

I like the Dean of USyd's Faculty of Law though. He seems really cool. :)

Lainee

HSC
Is Law anything like legal studies? :) I loved the whole course, but obviously Law is probably less about 'analysing' and more about 'adaptation'. Legal Studies Crime section was awesome.

addz

HSC
basically the legal studies course (well not the specific areas e.g. criminal, family, etc) are covered in semester1 (first topic = foundations @ unsw)
all the stuff on rule of law, brief run through of the constitution, etc.

but beyond that its alot more in depth than legal studies (obviously)...and requires much more than just a mere summary of important cases.

doggogo8

HSC
? Anu

Asquithian said:
There was a excellent SHM research article on the issue of 'what is the best law school' in 2002 that I read after it was sent to me by the aunty.

I'm really annoyed because I can’t find it on the net.

Essentially the article said that there was not much at all between UNSW and Usyd. That UNSW is known for having modern courses and 'small group' (yeah 42 is such a small grounp :rolleyes: ) teaching. However it did note that usyd is still THE 'sandstone university' with a much larger alumnus than any other law school in NSW.

The 1988 assessment (I think 1998) only gave good ratings to unsw and monash law schools. Giving all the others very very poor marks. I believe that all the law schools (in particular Sydney) pulled their socks up and improved dramatically. Many, i suspect, feared that usyd was falling behind unsw (which it did during the 90s in the TER's). However with new teaching methods and revamped courses it seems to have finally caught onto the idea of small classes and modern courses. Today there is very little if anything between unsw and usyd. Uysd has a larger alumnus (an older one...all the judges graduated in the 1960s. Usyd was the only law school in NSW (other than ANU))

The article noted that UTS was improving but that it had a long way to go. That UTSs had been working hard to improve its 'image' by putting up the uai's for its law programs. In reality UTS law is only very new ie 10 years old. It hasn't had much time to build a reputation and most of the time all the kids are trying to transfer to usyd or unsw and can't wait to get out of there. Ask Frigid.

Maq law was described by its own dean Ms Atherton as a 'basket case' when she took up her position. This perception was due to the law school being founded on the 'critical studies movement' which led to the perception that maqu didn’t teach much black letter law - and perception counts for much. Also some feel that maqu law is too easy to get into. Not in terms of Uai but in terms of the ease at which a person can transfer into the law course.

Also Maqu once was the leader in the area of Constitutional law. UNSW ended up buying their academics and giving them a fully funded research centre at unsw.

----------------------------------
My personal opinion

UNSW is a very good law school. Controversially the ABC called UNSW the 'most prestigious' law school in Australia...and in many ways we are.

But (quoting from the unsw law school ad thingy)

-UNSW law school has more research centres than any other law school in Australia
-UNSW law and UTS law created Austlii
-no other law school has won more overseas scholarships than unsw law in the past 7 years (Rhodes and Fulbright etc). In the last 7 years unsw has won 5 Rhodes Scholarships - no other law school has matched this.
- UNSW law has above average student satisfaction ratings

Usyd from what I've heard is also excellent. Many would argue that usyd tops unsw due to its prestige (large alumni, age and sandstone)...but in terms of teaching i doubt there is much difference.
What about ANU and Macquarie ? They too seem to have a good concept on law!!
Though the UAI score is er...... no comment. >_<

claudia_p

HSC
UNSW seems to have less compulsory law units and a slightly wider choice of elective units than USYD.

Now that I've added my 2c, I have a question myself:
When you do combined law, you spend the last 2 yrs doing law units only, right? Does that mean you get your first degree after the first 3 years?

If so, does that mean that- ok, say you start off doing combined law at UTS or Mac- you get your first degree after 3 yrs- USYD and UNSW law say that you can do grad law upon completion of your first degree (if your marks are good enough etc.)- so can you then transfer into grad law and count the law units you've already done as part of your combined degree towards your grad law degree?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
claudia_p said:
UNSW seems to have less compulsory law units and a slightly wider choice of elective units than USYD.

Now that I've added my 2c, I have a question myself:
When you do combined law, you spend the last 2 yrs doing law units only, right? Does that mean you get your first degree after the first 3 years?

If so, does that mean that- ok, say you start off doing combined law at UTS or Mac- you get your first degree after 3 yrs- USYD and UNSW law say that you can do grad law upon completion of your first degree (if your marks are good enough etc.)- so can you then transfer into grad law and count the law units you've already done as part of your combined degree towards your grad law degree?
Hmm...at UNSW, you cannot graduate from your other degree before Law unless you complete the General Education requirements..I'm not sure if there's similar restrictions at other uni's (which I dont think there would be)

However, most faculties and Law schools will have a limit on the amount of credit to be transferred from another degree, and I think the maximum is usually 50%, so if you've done 3 years of Law, and intend to complete the final 2 years at another uni, then you'll have to catch up some units at the new uni to be able to graduate there.

1000words

HSC
Minai said:
Hmm...at UNSW, you cannot graduate from your other degree before Law unless you complete the General Education requirements..I'm not sure if there's similar restrictions at other uni's (which I dont think there would be)
Wow, that's tough going. Everyone I know in Victoria has been able to graduate from their first undergraduate degrees after their first three years although most chose to wait until they graduated for both.

How about people who choose to drop law; are they able to graduate from their other degree?

How about people who choose to undertake a full-time job, in commerce for example, and want to continue law part-time?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)