The Tempest? (1 Viewer)

Tim_Shady

HSC
N/A
Am i the only person in the world who did the Tempest as their core text for imaginative journey? ive looked around and its REALLY hard to find an essay of any quality for this text in relation to imaginative journey.

ive got related material and all that, but my teacher says i just need to work a little bit on my examples and quotes (like i have some, theyre just no good i guess lol) so it would be good if someone could send me an essay maybe?

i know its late, but any help would be great... alternatively, u could add me to ur MSN - the_real_tim_shady@hotmail.com - im on like all the time lol

cheers

courtney_hogan

I am!

I am in fact doing the Tempest and am in the same position as you!! there are NO essays in Boredofstudies to look at! i wish i could help you but we're in the same boat! if you need help - i may be able to help but i don't know much!

kayles

naa dude i did the tempest as well, i have found a bit, but no there isnt much...illl send you something our teacher sent if you want...
just a few points...

THE TEMPEST

Our imagination can take us on meaningful and enthralling journeys. Part of our imagination can be stimulated by various things such as dreams, metaphor and symbolism which are tools for our unconscious and conscious minds. In dreams, the world we delve into can be magical where visions vanish, other things appear; we have strong emotions or responses; we feel pleasure or fear; at times things can morph into other forms.

When Shakespeare takes us on a journey through The Tempest, he uses magical elements as dramatic tools. For example, he takes us to an enchanted island where things appear and disappear; where the spirit of Ariel can be invisible; where Prospero uses magic; and where there are such odd beings as Caliban. On this magical isle, time and space are compressed and on the stage that is the island, prospero subjects his various audiences (including us) to a variety of spectacles and entertainments which are educational, punitive and cathartic for different characters.

Although the island previously belonged to Caliban as he inherited it from his mother, Prospero has usurped Caliban’s power and has enslaved him. Poor Caliban is referred to as a “slave” by both Miranda and Prospero and Caliban develops a hatred that is clearly violent and malicious in its resentment of his changed role. (There are distinct historical parallels here in that in the Elizabethan era, England was colonising various parts of the world, especially the new colonies in America. Caliban’s role therefore becomes a political statement by Shakespeare as he as an indigenous person has his lands stolen and his power completely taken. (The play becomes universal in that there is a strong message therefore for modern Australians who are very conscious of the of suppression of Aboriginal Australians.)

The relationship between Prospero and Caliban changes suddenly when Caliban tries to have a sexual relationship with Miranda. Prospero interprets this as a violation of his daughter’s innocence (although not perhaps a rape) and he conjures up his magic to find an appropriate partner for his daughter. In turn, he imprisons, enslaves and tortures Caliban.

While Shakespeare uses characterisation as a dramatic technique, he also incorporates language which can cast spells or persuade us through poetry. In our contemporary world, special effects are created through technology, however, as Shakespeare did not have access to technology in the Elizabethan era, he used the power of his language to have an effect on his responders.

For example, he distinguishes his characters by the rich language each uses. Caliban ranges from noble, tragic and poetic forms to common, comical prose forms.

The imaginative journey that takes place in The Tempest can best be understood if you consider its genre. It is in the romantic genre wherein magical intervention takes a role. This allows for strange and sometimes dark things to occur and for the language used to be poetic or strikingly realistic.

The power of the imagination can challenge one’s thinking. If one sees the island as representing the world, like our society, it includes such things as power struggles, innocence, love, music and enchantment along with cruelty and treachery.

The journey that Shakespeare takes the audience on is pleasurable, challenging and inspiring as we interpret the images, the changing plot, the complex characters and their varied use of language.

Tim_Shady

HSC
N/A
they're some good points you got there mate.. but yeh u understand wat im saying.... there is barely any information anywhere... like ive seen info on the tempest and i know what its all about etc. but i dont know how to use my knowledge in an exam.

and my teacher isnt too helpful either, she just gives me a mark, and thats it.

any idea how u are gunna set out ur essay for the exam?

HSC
HUNT said:
me got same problem....me got crappy quotes, crappy techniques...my teacher hates me...sorry can't help, can't even help myself :( me sad
woah bad luck dude....

HUNT

It's all good now....
used my crappy quotes, used my crappy techniques...my teacher still hates me...
BUT I'M SIGNING OUT TOMORROW :)
GOOD-BYE advanced English...HELLO WORLD
:) :) :) :)
thanks muchly for your concern Alias513 :)

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
I have to read it by Tuesday...I don't want to...I'm not going to...I'm gonna get in shit...I better read it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)