The Red Tree - Shaun Tan (1 Viewer)

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Our school recomended us in doing this text. I didnt do coleridge but there are so many techniques and cencepts about this book that make it such a good text to choose. Deconstruct the text first, example
+Colours and their symbolism/meqaning
+The narration (is it first person? is it third?)
+Pictures
+Text-do they use techniques like metaphors/imagery/diaogue/alliteration?
and then use these techniques to relate them to what it has to say inregards to the journey.
+Start of a day symbolically means start of a journey
+Boat (i think theres a boat) denotes a means of transportation and thus a journey
+The "demons" are a symbol of the hurdles/tough times in a journey

HSC
yeh i could be doing this book too, i just picked it up today

don't forget to talk about the colours that show mood and tone etc., also size of each picture (the enourmosity of the picture with the fish in comparison to the picture before is overwhelming and reinforces "darkness overcomes you")

I think i can link it to lime tree bower because of the red leaf and how it appears in each picture. It demonstrates that after all the bad times, hope was still there (coleridge realises that nature was all around).

Monash

HSC
N/A
huh...i dont even know anything on the red tree arrrgh stoopid book

jazzmuzik

HSC
most beautiful book ever written!

most importantly there is a change of perspective, a changed self.
reader taken on an imaginary journey to consider the cyclic ups and down of life...challenges us to reflect on our own journeys. The images are metaphoric and take us on imaginary journeys.. yah da yah da

maybe a better inner journey text...

minya1990

HSC
im using the red tree in relation to coleridge too... im not sure how to compare them though... im doing "rime.." and "...lime-tree...". could i just comment on the landscape side to both of them? nature and how we live in it? opning up to the world around us? im a tad lost... anyone have any suggestions?
thanks!:eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)