The Plays The Thing.. (1 Viewer)

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Which shall be discussed within the confines of this thread. :D

Has anyone here read/seen any plays lately, and if so, what did they think of them?

I read two plays last night, both representatives of the 'Theatre Of The Absurd..

The first was Samuel Beckett's 'Endgame'. While Waiting For Godot is more famous, this is perhaps a better representation of a nihilistic, absurd world. The 'plot' (or lack thereof) involves only four characters throughout, one (Hamm) of which is blind, and two of which live inside bins (Nell and Nagg.). Throughout, it's a commentary on existence, which leaves the slim possibility of being able to escape the situation at hand. Ironically, the play is so minimalistic that it's hard to explain.

Perhaps the best explanation of the textual ethos is the opening line.

Clov-Finished, it's finished, nearly finished, it must be nearly finished. [Pause] Grain upon grain, one by one, and one day, suddenly, there's a heap, a little heap, the impossible heap. [Pause] I can't be punished any more..

Quite the uplifting comment on life.

Despite the abformentioned representation however, the play doesn't absorb all light..There is an absurd humour running throughout, and several Shakespearean allusions.. (Such as My kingdom for a nightman!, or the original title itself, which in French translated to Our revels are now ended, from The Tempest.)

At the very least, it's interesting.

The other play was Pirandello's 'Six Characters In Search Of An Author'. I don't know who else here has read it, but it is hillarious! Full of innovation, earnest self-deprecation and meta-references, as seen in the following extract;

Producer-(leaping to his feet furiously). Ridiculous? It's ridiculous, is it? What do you expect me to do it nobody writes good plays any more and we're reduced to putting on plays by Pirandello? And if you can understand them you must be very clever. He writes them on purpose so nobody enjoys them, neither actors, nor critics nor audience. :p

Simply, the 'plot' has a theatre company reheasing a play, when suddenly, they are interrupted by six characters...In search of an author to depict their tale. Hillarity ensues, as well as breaking down the 'fourth wall' between stage and audience, quite frequently. (Besides introducing various philosophical questions to the state of existence and performance, in an entertaining manner within the plot.)

This was written in 1921, and is way ahead of its time.. Seems to preface Stoppard (Which is why Pirandello is referenced in The Real Inspector Hound.. I cannot but help from invoking....Pirandello-Moon.) and many other playwrights. A strong sign of the play's originality is that riots actually occured upon it's premiere, due to people thinking it wasn't actually a play. (Versimiliitude is achieved by such devices as opening the 'play' with the curtains already up, and showing the 'preperation' of the stage, within the text itself. Clever.)

Contrary to the above quote however, Pirandello's piece is a splendiferous play, and is thoroughly recommended.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
uh, the real inspector hound
which was very good, and funny i liked it

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by iambored
uh, the real inspector hound
which was very good, and funny i liked it
It was hillarious.. What makes it even better is that it's the sort of play within which new jokes can be discovered upon subsequent reading..Like Birdboot predicting My guess is Magnus before he even appears on stage. :D

Have you read any other Stoppard? I recommend Arcadia or Rosencrantz & Guildernstern Are Dead (if you've read Hamlet..)

s2ophie

HSC
I loved Wilde's "an Ideal Husband" which was my related text for I&S. If countebalanced how much i detested tess of the d'urbervillles.

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
its said how we read plays because we cant afford to watch any...bah!

clerisy

HSC
I love Oscar Wilde-- "The Importance of Being Earnest" is brilliant.

Tennessee Williams is also fantastic: "A Streetcar Named Desire" and "The Glass Menagerie" are two of my favourite plays.

huck fenn

Beckett is god-like. Absurdist theatre is all too often just novelty theatre, but Beckett is the absolute master of it, and his work comes off with multiple layers of deep deep /deeeeep/ existential depression.

sigh.

Wilde also is very good, although i am not very familiar with his work. I only remember semi-studying 'the importance of being earnest' in year 9.

Tom Stoppard. I recently acquired his biography... i'll be hoeing into it soon. in the hsc i studied Ros&Guil and TRIH, both excellent plays, but both from the very beginning of his career. The film version of Ros and Guil is wonderful; he takes from Beckett, but gives us a human empathy for the characters, making us actually activly care about their plight, as well as entertaining and amusing us. Shakespeare in love, of course. He also wrote the screenplay for Enigma, which... i don't like that much. but its ok. My mum is going to see The Real Thing tonight. Tickets sold out ages ago; when i started salivating at the prospect of going to see it, my mum found out that the only available tickets were for the night before the Ext 1 english exam. bugger.

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by huck fenn
Beckett is god-like. Absurdist theatre is all too often just novelty theatre, but Beckett is the absolute master of it, and his work comes off with multiple layers of deep deep /deeeeep/ existential depression.

sigh.
Yeah.. I appreciate that whilst Beckett's work can be absolutely depressing, there is still an undercurrent of absurdist humour, even a vaguely existensialist message, occasionally. This is aptly demonstrated in the following lines from Endgame. (Still waiting for Godot myself. :d)

Hamm-Last night I saw inside my breast. There was a big sore.
Clov-Pah! You saw your heart.
Hamm-No, it was living.. (p.26.)

Hamm-The end is in the beginning and yet you go on.

Theres definately much meaning generated through minimalistic means.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)