The Mark on HSC Credentials (1 Viewer)

sydneyphoenix

HSC
N/A
I believe most of class 2004 received their credentials for hsc by now.
Now I wonder, you know how the record of achievement shows marks in 2-point intervals, i.e. there are five indicating bar graph in each band instead of 10.
But let's say if you get 92 in a subject, would you assume you are included in the first sub-band of band six, or the second?
I realise that either the top sub-band (98-100) or bottom sub-band (50-52) will have three points in their range, not two.
Also, another one (I hear stones coming...), how many percentage of candidature do you think receive mark less than 50 i.e. band 1? I believe if you end up sit for the exam you are at least in band 2, regardless of how you go.
Post your opinion and sure facts!!

Idyll

HSC
sydneyphoenix said:
Also, another one (I hear stones coming...), how many percentage of candidature do you think receive mark less than 50 i.e. band 1? I believe if you end up sit for the exam you are at least in band 2, regardless of how you go.
Post your opinion and sure facts!!
Start clicking away on this page ( http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/BDHSC_2004_12.htm ) and you'll be able to see the distribution of students across the bands for each subject.

It will tell you the percentage of students in band 1 ;)

sydneyphoenix

HSC
N/A
Idyll said:
Start clicking away on this page ( http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/BDHSC_2004_12.htm ) and you'll be able to see the distribution of students across the bands for each subject.

It will tell you the percentage of students in band 1 ;)
Thanks Idyll for answer to second half of question.
Anyone know the answer to first one? I am trying to estimate what was my rank in the state for my subjects.

Last edited:

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
sydneyphoenix said:
Thanks Idyll for answer to second half of question.
Anyone know the answer to first one? I am trying to estimate what was my rank in the state for my subjects.
Download the tables of data from the UAC website. It shows state percentiles for particular aligned marks. If you're lucky and your aligned mark is one of the ones on the table then you'll get an almost exact figure. Otherwise, you can just estimate your percentile.

If you tell me the subject you want to know about and your mark then I can make an estimate for you. I've forgotten what the link is to the tables though.

Plebeian

The table ~ ReNcH ~ was referring to, I think, is Table A3 of the UAC's Scaling Report.

Having a look at my own HSC documents, it would appear that it's not just a simple case of two marks to a bar graph. I think even marks appear on the line between two bars, and odd marks appear in the bar graphs themselves. This image might help explain:

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Techie said:
The table ~ ReNcH ~ was referring to, I think, is Table A3 of the UAC's Scaling Report.

Having a look at my own HSC documents, it would appear that it's not just a simple case of two marks to a bar graph. I think even marks appear on the line between two bars, and odd marks appear in the bar graphs themselves. This image might help explain:

Although I noticed that there's no scale on the graph - on my SC record of achievement it had a number so you could estimate what each "increment" at the bottom was worth, but on the HSC RoA it just had the lines, but no figures at the bottom...

And Table A3 was the one I was referring to - thanks for the link Techie :)

sydneyphoenix

HSC
N/A
So I suppose it's like rounding off that if you have 94 and sit on the border between two sub-band (!), you may actually be on either side. So 93 will be an median mark of an sub-band.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)