The Lost Salt Gift of Blood (1 Viewer)

topsyturvy86

HSC
Are other people also struggling with this book? I enjoy it, despite the depressing nature, but i'm finding it hard to link some of the stories to retreat from the global, and it's also hard to intgrate stories.

For example, Winter Dog. I understand that the narrator's famliy is spread out across Canada and communication is challenging, etc.. but I don't understand how the boy's adventure with the dog is a message of retreat from the global.

Can anyone help me out?

Feel free to post your own questions :)

Dave2007

HSC
Isn't the whole Macleod collection called "The Island" and lost salt is just one of the stories, but the one most ppl choose to write about?

At first some people in our class didn't really "get it" then the teacher decided to pick a random page and point out all the global-local things. It's almost as though he had the syllabus in his hand when he wrote it, it now seems. Everything is a symbol; for example characters that smoke cigarettes are a symbol for slowly dying from the addictive global, one of the stories starts with "grey rocks pointing outwards to europe", more obvious symbols...Its fairly easy to connect, so long as you keep consciously asking yourself: does that relate to global or local, and what is it trying to say?

I have to do some presentation on LSGOB when I get back to school so hence I jumped when I saw the topic....3 days of hols left and havent started yet :( . The resources section of BoS is really lacking on material with LSGOB...I'll probably have to do it alllll myself.

HSC
N/A
Actually "lost salt gift of blood" is the title of the collection of short stories. "The Island" is one of the short stories :) (although lsgob might be as well, gah things go fuzzy after three years)

Personally, I found it very difficult to understand a lot of the stories. Looking back I still do - it's quite "dense" in terms of techniques, symbols etc, and I'm more of a light fiction reader/writer ;) The last two stories are GOLD, though. 'The Tuning of Perfection' links in superbly with 'Digging', but I don't want to mention exactly how for those who haven't worked it out yet :) (but will be very happy to hint!)

Chehade

HSC
Heya,

Im new here but yeh, Im doing LSGOB also, its pretty alright, I enjoyed a couple of them, and did an 10minute speech on 'The Tuning of Perfection and it was great! Well great as far as school goes..

Two things... first one keeping on the topic...

1. Do u know any good Quotations I could use as a source relating to The Shipping News, LSGOB and The Castle?

2. Are you allowed to use say.. Seamus Heaney.. as a related source if its not one of ur texts?

Thanks,

Chehade

HSC
N/A
Hrm I'm not sure how wise it would be to use a core prescribed text for the year and use it as a 'related text', especially as some people will use ALL THREE prescribed text AND a related text :p better pick another one! lol

I don't know whether this is a quote per se, but from memory there's a knot description at the top of each chapter. Supposedly this links in somehow with stuff brought up in the chapter, and is one of the 'threads' that 'knots' the story together.

I wonder what 'knots' together the stories in LSGOB, or even the people in it? ;)

PS: Didn't do The Castle so can't help you there, sorry.

Chehade

HSC
thanks heaps!! the knots thing is a good one.. i like it!

but by quotations, i meant more like a famous quote i could use as a related source... a cliche one like "what goes around comes around" or even just a random quote taken from somewhere... i am using one for journey and its a top related source, they r the easiest to use..

if u can think of any that are not in the stimulus that wuld be great:)

Chehade

HSC
N/A
hrm not sure.

I'm also not sure a quote would really qualify as a related text? You might find it useful to pick something just a tad more substantial...

emRkate

HSC
glitterfairy said:
Actually "lost salt gift of blood" is the title of the collection of short stories. "The Island" is one of the short stories :) (although lsgob might be as well, gah things go fuzzy after three years)

Personally, I found it very difficult to understand a lot of the stories. Looking back I still do - it's quite "dense" in terms of techniques, symbols etc, and I'm more of a light fiction reader/writer ;) The last two stories are GOLD, though. 'The Tuning of Perfection' links in superbly with 'Digging', but I don't want to mention exactly how for those who haven't worked it out yet :) (but will be very happy to hint!)
actually to corect u both.... the lost salt gift of blood is what the collection of stories was originally marketed as (yes it is however still a story in the book as is the island) but as that book is no longer published yet still remains on the hsc reading list.....
a new book containing the same stories and a few extras called the island was published...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)