The Gym (1 Viewer)

mylucky9

HSC
Tell me anything about going to the gym. Is it daunting? How often do you go... what do you do at the gym?

I started a week ago and I've just been on the treadmills and taking Pilate classes. Don't want to take on the weights or anything like that yet... all the good looking people are on that side :(

I guess my goal is to commit 2 hours at the gym daily and to lose some weight, hopefully some body toning will become a by-product.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Don't commit a specific time to the gym, that's dumb. You should go to the gym with some idea of what you're going to be doing that day, as well as what that day has in terms of a larger goal. For example, I'm on a strength training routine so I go to the gym with what lifts I'm doing that day and at what weights/reps/sets in mind. I stay there until I get that done, regardless of how short or lengthy the time is. It's all part of the eventual goal of getting stronger. I try to go at least 3 times a week.

I'm guessing you're there for body recomposition (losing fat, gaining muscle). If that's the case, then just do what you need to do. Don't worry about other people, because they sure as shit aren't worrying about you.

Jeelous

HSC
Uni Grad
Don't commit a specific time to the gym, that's dumb. You should go to the gym with some idea of what you're going to be doing that day, as well as what that day has in terms of a larger goal. For example, I'm on a strength training routine so I go to the gym with what lifts I'm doing that day and at what weights/reps/sets in mind. I stay there until I get that done, regardless of how short or lengthy the time is. It's all part of the eventual goal of getting stronger. I try to go at least 3 times a week.

I'm guessing you're there for body recomposition (losing fat, gaining muscle). If that's the case, then just do what you need to do. Don't worry about other people, because they sure as shit aren't worrying about you.
You sound like you know what your talking about. I've just got a membership for a gym however I've been doing research on how to gain size etc etc. Too much to comprehend...
I was just wondering. What kind of routine should I begin with? MON, WED, FRI?
Do you have any videos/site you could recommend.
What about eating plan?

Just a bio about myself. I'm 65kgs and 180cm tall. I believe I am defined as an "ectomorph".

tomodachi_

HSC
you should try the elliptical they burn calories faster than running and i like going on them for about 25-30 mins before running on treadmill coz it kinda warms me up and i don't get sore.

if you don't feel like going to the gym because of this crazy rain or whatever and you're a girl you can watch blogilates on youtube and do her routines, she's really good!

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
You sound like you know what your talking about. I've just got a membership for a gym however I've been doing research on how to gain size etc etc. Too much to comprehend...
I was just wondering. What kind of routine should I begin with? MON, WED, FRI?
Do you have any videos/site you could recommend.
What about eating plan?

Just a bio about myself. I'm 65kgs and 180cm tall. I believe I am defined as an "ectomorph".
Putting on size is extremely simple. It very much boils down to calories in versus calories out, complimented by protein intake. So, simply put, if you consume more energy than your body needs to maintain its bodyweight, you will put on weight. The larger the surplus, the larger the amount of weight you put on. Generally the adhered ratio of protein:bodyweight is 2 grams per kilogram of bodyweight in order to maximise muscle gain (more on this later). Judging by how skinny you are (I'm several inches shorter and about 5kg heavier and I'm not particularly fat), you don't need to worry about bodyfat at the moment. Calculate your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR; google 'BMR calculator'), then add 200-500 calories to that and eat within that range. If after a fortnight or two of strict adherence to this caloric intake and you haven't gained weight, increase it. You will gain weight.

Routine I suggest? Starting Strength. There are different variations of it, and you can tweak it and mess around with it as much as you want because it is your routine. Go to this link: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs and if you're lifting for 'aesthetics' or for hypertrophy (the same thing), I'd suggest the program that alternates chins with deadlifts.

If the description doesn't make sense, the template basically works as you have an A day and a B day. It works like this:
A day:
Squats 3x5
Bench Press 3x5
Chin/pull ups 3xF (if you can't do that many, you can use the assisted chin/pull up machine)

B day:
Squats 3x5
Overhead Press/Military Press/Press (all the same movement, just different names) 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

and you follow it on a AxBxAxxBxAxBxx basis. So you go to the gym on Monday and do A day, rest on Tuesday, go to the gym on Wednesday and do B day, etc.

I recommend you do your own research on this stuff, it will benefit you greatly. Another recommendation I'll make is that it is absolutely imperative that you get your form down properly on these lifts. If you don't, I guarantee that you will injure yourself in some form. Watch videos on youtube, read the book Starting Strength (you can pirate it, but I think you should buy it), practice, record yourself doing the lifts and compare with other videos.

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
diet 85% of the game mate. get a good diet plan and lift 3-5 times a week and youll be set. heres a link to a workout http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-...ll-powerhypertrophy-routine-updated-2011.html

you can workout how many calories you need on swole.me (click on not sure for how many calories) then workout a diet plan on that site. diet is key, you can go to the gym as much as you like but if your diet isnt in check your limiting yourself

Jimmy2064

HSC
I'm feeling choked by uneducated people in this thread.

btx3

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm feeling choked by uneducated people in this thread.
these tards no nuffing, I've been bulking for 17 years and 10 months and have finally reached my goal weight of 115 kgs

toppers

HSC
Uni Grad
Of course, As if you are going to gym or not generally your build depends on your diet plan and other routine activities. And specially if you are regular to some walk and exercise, you would always be in some good shape. Infect it's all about maintaining yourself. Which depends on how you manage the things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)