The Global (1 Viewer)

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Can anyone explain how 'Navigating The Global' will differ from the Retreat From The Global module studied in previous years?

yummy-cookies

HSC
My teacher said that they were basically the same thing; except that they decided to rename it "Navigating the Global" because students often wouldn't consider the alternative of Retreating from the Global

Fortian09

HSC
Can anyone explain the concept of 'navigating the global'?

Zephyrio

HSC
More focus on how the global enhances our lives. Students of Retreat from the Global were often simplistically dichotomising the global as simply bad and the local as good. This is not desirable and under no circumstances should you have such a black and white view of things.

penguin.ali

HSC
Well, at least I can understand what they're asking me now, but I'm having real issues finding "navigating the global" in texts.

What should I look for?

E

Empyrean444

So bloody true - the choice and range for related material is reductive and narrow. Try to look for texts that show an interaction between globalised culture and traditional cultures, or that demosntrate a struggle between these two opposing elements. Anti-imperialist texts can be useful for a pro "local"/anti-global perspective, but if you get one of these it must be balanced with another related less critical or even appraising globalisation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)