The French Lieutenants Woman, Possession, Orlando & Dead White Males (1 Viewer)

Chris_U

Which one is your favourite text to write about and why? What do u usually write about within each?

flosh's gurl

i love orlando. freaked me out for a while but i love it! the easiest for me to write about is it and FLW. probably because they are actually considered PM not just talking about PM like dead white males. basically all my work on FLW is about chapter 13. i think its chapter 13. the one where it is john fowles talking. the use of filmic tecniques in FLW, the role reversals in Orlando. what is accepted and what is ignored. thats basically what i talk about.

Chris_U

I love Chapter 13 too, and i talk a lot about that in my essays too. I talk a lot about the rejection/critique of grand narratives that occurs in FLW aswell.

Possession is great because you can talk about it being multigeneric. It also is rich in feminine symbolism, and talks about phallogocentricism and can be classed as metafiction.

We only finished Orlando recently LOL, but i know if the essay question involves gender.... i definitely wanna discuss Orlando.

sif not 99

For our prescibed texts we studied Orlando (queerest film I have ever seen), FLW (400+ pages of postmodernist dogma yuck yuck), Dead White Males (Williamson whata champ).

Yeah well basically I hate postmodernism and what it stands for, bring back the canon.

Anyways I will use Orlando, probably just go on about socially constructed gender roles and what not and FLW most likely something about the combination of literary forms Fowles used.

quite amusing top ppl at my school all hate postmodernism but then again its probably better than crime fiction that'd suck and apparantly ppl doing this module received the highest marks last year

Coffee_Fan

Wait for the dark
i like them all

i like them all,

orlando is excellent- it's weird after the first time you watch it - but it's quite entertaining after a while + who doesn't like to write an essay on a visual text??

FLW - took me ages to buy the fricken book, and even longer to read it, but i really didn't mind it - quite interesting, postmodern and Ch13 is the best

DWM - probably the hardest to write on, but the easiest to read and understand

Jenjen

Haha
I love Possession. I think there is just so much to talk about in it- and everyone can find a character they like or a parallel they like. I love Cropper- i think he's the funniest guy in the book, and there are just some really beautiful quotes in the book and images and...ah i just love it!! haha- i'm not a geek i promise !!

What's everyone doing for their extra texts??
I'm doing One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriela Garcia Marquez and The Locked Room by Paul Auster

And you guys all sound really smart. so good luck and i'm sure you'll do well
Jens

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)