The difference between Crime Fiction & Crime Writing? (1 Viewer)

HMF

Señor CAFS Dude
HSC
As said above what is the difference between previous module Crime Fiction & 2009 - 2012 module Crime Writing. Does this mean fiction and non-fiction texts can be used as related texts? Thanks.

LordPc

HSC
I would think that it is exactly the same course. just the people over at the Board felt that giving the course a new name would fool people into thinking they had done more work than they actually did. I think the major change is with the texts. they changed the movie to the maltese falcon didnt they? instead of the big sleep.

I am fairly sure that you cannot use a non-fiction books as related material just as a general rule.

HMF

Señor CAFS Dude
HSC
No, it's Rear Window, Hitchcock, the rest are the same. I guess its just a retooling. Just like Speculative Fiction with the addition of Brave New World.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
MY teacher said that Crime Writing implies that their will be more creative writing involved rather than just studying the genre critically. She said a lot of people didn't realise that creative writing was such a major component of the Crime Fiction module or something along those lines?

erm

HSC
Crime fiction/writing is a snorefest...why can't they do sci-fi or something? :p

oceangirl31

HSC
my ext teacher attended some theorem about it and they said main diff is the texts and that we will be expected to express more of our own concepts in exams and assiz

the texts are now

the skull beneath the skin

the real inspector hound

rear window

well mine r anyway
by the by does any1 have any ideas for a cosy crime fiction story any help appreciated

Abbatha

HSC
We have been told that although it is NOT advisable, we CAN use non fiction AT OUR OWN PERIL!!
so basically, no, there is limited to no difference except for the fact that they can now correct us whenever we say crime fiction by saying, actually its crime WRITING now... god, the board of studies are such forward thinkers nowadays ;-P

Tumnus

HSC
MY teacher said that Crime Writing implies that their will be more creative writing involved rather than just studying the genre critically. She said a lot of people didn't realise that creative writing was such a major component of the Crime Fiction module or something along those lines?
well half of the exam paper is a creative writing piece :)

laklah

HSC
I wish my teacher chose sci-fi instead of crime writing ><;
then again, it's not like our school had the resources for it anyway...
sigh!

maloney

HSC
N/A
I'm not a student - I'm an author of crime fiction. Six successful novels, one of which was a text for the Victorian equivalent of the HSC about 10 years ago. The NSW set texts for the crime writing component of English are a disgrace. With one exception, their choice appears to be have been based on either contempt for the idea of crime writing or ignorance of it. It would be hard to come up with a list more likely to bore and confuse students and to put them off the whole genre of crime writing for life.

britinaus

HSC
well in response to your understanding that the set texts are "a disgrace," i would like to remind you is that the whole purpose of the module is how texts conform or don't and the four texts each have aspects which are based in crime fiction but have a significant number of non-conformist elements.
its not an attempt to showcase wonderful examples of crime writing, rather an avenue by which a student can question and challenge the notion of genre and its importance relative to each of the texts.

maloney

HSC
N/A
How does it help 'challenge the notion of genre' to require students to read such miserable examples of it? Would it not be educationally more worthwhile to direct students to better examples of crime fiction than the idiosyncratic examples chosen, if only to set up some sort of benchmark? The required texts are a disgrace precisely because the only possible reaction to them is the kind of jargonistic faff deployed in your response.

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
Mr Maloney, do you propose that one of your own novels should be included on the HSC syllabus? Perhaps you could direct us to a few texts which are better than the 'miserable examples' you have described. After all, in our HSC examinations we are also required to refer to related texts as well as those set by the Board.

However, so far all you have successfully managed to do here is express a severe distaste for the set texts and criticise a student for expressing what they have learned in class. Perhaps this criticism should be more specifically targetted toward the Board itself as opposed to the students on this forum?

Considering (for me at least) this is only a one unit subject out of twelve units, I myself haven't been left with a wealth of time to spend trawling through every example of Crime Writing I can find. Instead I have taken the advice of others, such as my teachers, in choosing my related texts. Any input on your behalf as to what you would consider a less 'disgraceful' example of the genre would, I'm sure, be much appreciated by myself and my peers...

maloney

HSC
N/A
Happy to make suggestions. My criticism of the set texts was directed to students lest any be put off crime fiction by the lousy examples. Directing my views to the Board would be a waste of time as their attitude is clearly evident in their choices. And no, I am not angling to have any of my books included in the reading list. I am merely suggesting that some canonical texts would be more useful to students by familiarising them with key authors and providing prime examples of specific sub-genres.

I understand that your time is tight (more reason for the Board not to set ill-considered texts). Here's some short, quick reads that you might enjoy.

'The Big Sleep', ' The High Window' or 'The Little Sister' by Raymond Chander. Chandler really cut the template for the wisecracking, first-person narrator, hard-boiled private eye.

Jim Thompson 's 'The Grifters' or 'Pop.1280' for the criminal view.

The Empty Beach by Peter Corris - American model, local setting

(Would it really kill the Board of Studies to set some Australian books??)

James Lee Burke 'Neon Rain' is a police procedural with a strong sense of locality and a compelling protagonist (3 of the definining aspects of the genre).

How about back-to-basics with The Speckled Band or Hound of the Baskervilles? Sherlock Holmes might be a cliche but he is the grand-daddy of all enquiry agents.

As someone who reads a lot of crime fiction and makes my living by writing it, my reason for contributing to this forum is simply to let students know that it's a much more interesting genre than the experts at the Board of Studies appear prepared to admit.

HMF

Señor CAFS Dude
HSC
I think the texts are very good. I mean, they act as a catalyst for individual investigation. I think shifting away from classic texts is because they are "clichéd meaning that it's relatively easy to express in an essay, while other more complex texts e.g. Anils Ghost or Rear Window are fairly hybrid, meaning they subvert the genre. + the EX1 genre elective is not just about conventions it's also about contextual values etc. Furthermore PD James and Stoppard are both involve supplementary reading of Christie. So I think the board has chosen some excellent texts, but I guess your entitled to your opinion. But what novels have u published would be very interested to have a look at ur work.

Also if you did take any notice to the syllabus Big Sleep was on the List for around 10 years.

maloney

HSC
N/A
My posting here was a silly idea. I don't know what overcame me. When I see expressions like 'subvert the genre' and 'contextual values', then find "you" spelled as "u", I am reminded to get back to the real world of books and writing and linger no longer in the secondary education syllabus. My apologies.

HMF

Señor CAFS Dude
HSC
As much as I accept your opinion, I don not appreciate the way you are blatantly mud slinging people including myself, with unjustified criticisms. I mean we work our butts off to get the marks we want to get into University and all YOU can do is sit on your high horse and express your condemnation of my choices to communicate the word "you" on a youth website. The BOS (Board of Studies ;) just thought I would be considerate since you do not like abbreviations or Acronyms) does have flaws however the prescriptions have been decided for the next four years. DEAL WITH IT, and take your mediocre hypocrisy to some people who care, because honestly we don't care. Go write your books, I'm doubtful anyone will read them though. :headbang:

monsters

HSC
My posting here was a silly idea. I don't know what overcame me. When I see expressions like 'subvert the genre' and 'contextual values', then find "you" spelled as "u", I am reminded to get back to the real world of books and writing and linger no longer in the secondary education syllabus. My apologies.
love, have you read the syllabus? one of the main focuses is the exploration of crime texts and how, due to contextual evolution/change, values within texts have developed. by examining the texts, we learn more about the society it was created in, and learn the values and concerns of the people. it's a requirement to compare the likes of christie, poe and chandler to that of P.D james, hitchcock and stoppard - as different values are conveyed through their texts, with modern developments challenging the concept of crime and allowing us to explore its ambiguous nature; eg. the notion of 'justice', the development of the criminal, the indistinct personality of detectives etc. please don't bring your 'superior wisdom' here, unless you know the hsc syllabus inside out. thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)