The Crocodile Hunter pulls a Michael Jackson (1 Viewer)

piccaninny

invisible
HSC
yesterday on the news he said that he will continue to feed crocodile with his baby son, but he wont allow any cameras in the zoo.
i wont be surprised to hear news that son is eaten by crocs

^___^
HSC
i've read this from the daily telegraph and it was on the pg where audience mail their opinions

Crocodiles may act unpredictably, but so do drivers. Do we question parents for walking their children beside roads?
quite hilarious when i read that

sugared plum

HSC
i saw him being interviwed on tv, it was VERY amusing.

he was raving about how his father and grandfather had died in war for democracy.

he essnetially tried to argue that exposing children to dangers in their backyard was good for their own satefy and development - yeah whatever Bob was taught real good croc safety (at 1 month of age) posing for a crowd.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
there is no benefit for the child going in with the croc at 1 month!! but i can understand irwin saw no dangers, he is so confident with them.

and the tv channels DID show the view which made him look the closest!

^___^
HSC
that was what i was thinking when i read that cos roads are dangerous if one driver is day-dreaming

but meh..i guess if he was brought up like that, then he has the right to believe to bring up his child like that...not that it is a correct way of doing so

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Can u remember when u were 1 month old??? Probably not!!! But we start learning things when we are first born. It is never too early to start learning. Eg: swimming, ppl debate over when to teach your children to swim at a certain age. But it is a necessary skill, especially in Australia.

Point that i am making is that, Irwin was only trying to teach his child the dangers of crocs, and the child may have been able to understand.

Suney_J

Not a member
HSC
how about when irwin was parading his child in front of the croc, when he was making him walk
is that part of the childs intensive training and education about the dangers of crocs??

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Suney_J
how about when irwin was parading his child in front of the croc, when he was making him walk
is that part of the childs intensive training and education about the dangers of crocs??
but the child was pretty far away, and the croc had his back to him

Suney_J

Not a member
HSC
i dunno if doin that with a 1 month old baby is appropriate, i just don't think it was really necessary

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Suney_J
i dunno if doin that with a 1 month old baby is appropriate, i just don't think it was really necessary
yeah it wasn't necessary, i just think irwin was so confident as he is in those situatons all the time.

^___^
HSC
yea..

well maybe this was irwin's mind

since he was bought up like that, he never fear these crocs, so in order for Bob to be like him, not to fear crocs and know how to handle them, Bob needs to be trained like he is..

meh!

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
I was not cool at all with putting the kid on the ground with the croc just a couple of feet away even if its back was turned. Let's not forget that whether or not Steve Irwin is an expert, the croc is still a wild animal and its actions cannot always be prevented or predicted. That is where the danger lies, not with Irwin, but with the croc.

Short and sweet - you can't teach a 1 month old baby to be "croc-savvy". ;)

Suney_J

Not a member
HSC
yeh maybe,

u never know. 1 day his kid could end up being a better croc hunter than him. and im sure thats what irwin was thinking and thats what mite be going through his mind when he doing the stunt and the kid has to start somewhere, but to the rest of us non-croc hunters he is just a 1 month old baby

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Why are we making such a big fuse. Its not even our child, and we can't control what Irwin is doing to his children. He is a dad, and therefore he will always have his childrens best interests at heart.

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
Originally posted by Cape
Why are we making such a big fuse. Its not even our child, and we can't control what Irwin is doing to his children. He is a dad, and therefore he will always have his childrens best interests at heart.
exactly.

iv'e read through the entire thread and i didn't think there was anything wrong with anyone's opinion. although i didn't think it was necessary for irwin to do that with his baby, especially considering the age, in the end he is a professional and what's done is done - we're just here to criticise any "wrong" or outrageous moves carried out by celebrities. and remember, a lot of us studied frontline and manipulation of the truth - you can't always be sure that the media is telling it exactly right :p rah.

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
Did anyone see the tape that was shot from a different angle? The tape we've all been shown has been deliberately set up to make it seem dangerous.
After seeing the other tape I was pretty disguested at the fuss the media has made of this, because while taking a baby into a pen with a croc in it isn't something I'd do, it was NOT dangerous.

The tape from the other angle shows how Steve was several feet away from the croc and had his body between the baby and the croc, and several handlers were hovering right behind Irwin incase anything happened.
Then when he was walking the baby on the ground, the tape made it seem like it was right next to the crock, when it fact there was AT LEAST 15 feet between them, and the other handlers were still right there.

The fuss that's being made is ridiculous. His son wasn't in any danger, and it's his choice.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
I don't think he was as terribly irresponsible as he was made out to be. He does know what he is doing, even if it seems a little eccentric to us. If I saw some regular person off the street doing the same thing with their child I would be concerned, but this is different.
Of course there was SOME risk, but not enough to be considered negligible. And if something had have gone wrong then there were other people in there too, and it could have been rectified.
However, while I don't think it was dangerous, I do think it was foolish. He did do it for at least some degree of shock value, and while he defends his actions by saying he needs to teach his kids to be around crocodiles, the kid was only a month old, and had no idea what was going on. So there was no real point in the baby being in there, and he should have predicted that there could have been some backlash over it. Was it really worth the publicity risk?
I do feel sorry for him though, he does seem to genuinely care about his kids.

AGB

HSC
for once (i think the first time) i agree with you butterfly_wings :D

Alexander

Gold Member
It just shows how much australia cant stand his belittleing of us in front of our best buddy (US). Remember the hype when he told Howard that he was Aust's best PM ever?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)