The critical response (1 Viewer)

perfect crime

I was just wondering what the critical response involves. Because everyone i've spoken to says ohh gnooo dont do it, it's harder than the creative stuff, but i dont think it would be, provided you choose well (i'm thinking of doing hemingway).
Has anyone done the critical response before, and what was it like?

ShirLz

Hey perfect crime, i did a c/response, n trust me - it was da BEST!!! its hard work, but then the rest of the choices probably r too, n u really do get a lot out of it...Mine was called "Wet shirts and Tight Breeches: How 20th century film adaptations have reconfigured masculinity in Jane Austen's men"...it was heaps fun coz i'm a big fan of austen, n if u choose a certain aspect of heemingway that interests u, n on which u reckon theres heaps of avenues of research, then u really will enjoy it

many ppl would tell u that c/responses lack creativity n stuff - don't listen to them..u get to go out there, research, find what ppl say, n agree/disagree, n present that view to someone else - i love it coz i'm good at arguin n analysin - if thats your strong point, then that would help....

however, my advice would b to make up your mind on what u wanna do soon n get started..even if u don't have a specific area, research what aspects of hemmingway u could do it on n then go from there...if u do decide to do a CR, try gettin bulk of research done durin the xmas hols n term 1 - less stress for later....be aware that u are under a word limit - which is perhaps the most frustratin n challengin thing when doing CR...also be aware of the diff avenues of research - i've seen almost every relevant austen/contemporary culture/cinematic techniques/cultural theories/austen critics/austen values/austen anythin book/video/tape from the university of sydney, n since i live like 45mins away, it seemed like a huge effort at that time :p ..also i looked at like 75 websites n 72,900 webpages [i counted!]

so when u start, have a basic plan which u build along da way, as to where you'll find da info, what kinda info u're after n stuff like that - this plan thing can b part of your journal, n can be used for your internal assessments as well - givesu da edge over the rest of your classmates - not that that happened to me - i was da only one in my sch. doing it :p

i could go on forever on this - lolz - as u can see....my advice - if u wanna do it, if u think u can do it, of u have an idea, n if u have the ability to do it in terms of resources - go for it n don't worry bout what everyone else thinks!!

if you and anyone else wanting to or doing a CR for ext 2 needs more help, my msn is currys_child@hotmail.com

u can contact me if u need help w/ other areas of ext 2 as well, but i doubt i could give u any help for performance poetry ;)

oh yeah, good luck n have fun - its a blast :D

!meeee!

melbourne during uni- sydney during holidays
critical response is the best!!!
there are opportunities to be creative plus analytical and the assessments are a lot easier than for some of the other mediums cause your major work has direction at quite an early stage.
choose something you love (hemmingway) but narrow it down to an original area.
start writing early and don't just let your research go on forever or go unused. draft, draft, draft! and let as many ppl as possible read your work. criticism is good!
most importantly don't think of it as the "serious" option, cause it's not. if you do something you love you'll have a blast

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)