Text Type Structures (1 Viewer)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Knowing what exactly is needed in any text types is extremely important. as you could encounter ANY text types asked by the examiners in the HSC ESL exams. I've gathered some information from my notes and post them on here so that hopefully you get a better understanding of how structures and language features are used in a typical research and factual report, speech, argument essay, explanation essay, diary, and feature article.

Research Report

Structure:

- Requires a heading; for example, "How To Study English Successfully".

- Information organised under section headings. Headings and formats vary across study areas, but these basic headings are common. For example: Aim, and method.

Language features:

- Formal

- Objective not subject language

- Passive voice is used

- Few personal pronounce

- Generally past tense

This text type is usually used in scientific reports.

Factual Report

Structure:

- Requires an Introduction which defines and/or classifies the topic

- Focus throughout on facts, not opinion

- Paragraphs that describe different aspects of the topic (sub-topics).

- Each paragraph is about one aspect of the subject only

- Use topic sentence to outline the issue being discussed for each paragraph

- Conclusion rounds off the topic

Language features:

- Formal and impersonal language

- often passive voive is employed

- Ususally present tense

- Reference is use to acknowledge the source of information (obviously in exam condition, you can't reference).

Note: Factual report is more common tested in HSC exams than Research report.

Speech

Structure:

- Opening, which quickly catches the audience's attention, and at the same time establishes the topic and purpose of speech.

- Ideas and information organised as appropriate to purpose of speech

- Included information must follow a logical flow, which will be meaningful to both the speaker and listeners

- Conclusion, which relates to the content and purpose of the speech, it may include, for example, a qustion, a recommendation, or a warning. For instance, "Why should we learn about the diversity of structures in different text types?" (rhetorical question is used).

Language features:

- Address the audienc; for example, ladies and gentleman, or class depending on the situation that is applied.

- More repetition and restatement of ideas than in writing - to help your listeners follow the ideas. (Not too repetitive, this is achieved by stating your ideas differently each time to reinforce the same piece of information/ideas/views in a way that it is interesting)

- Personal language

- SOME colloquial language

- Use of questions to set up a 'conversation' with listeners

Note: speeches are frequently examined in the HSC exam, KNOW IT WELL! Be fluent, and elonguent with how you compose your speech to get your point of view across to the TARGET audience.

Argument Essay and Explanation Essay

they are both very similar in terms of structure and language features, so I have combined them together here.

Structure:

- Introduction, which includes a lead-in senetence (optional), and a statement of your view on the topic.

- One paragraph per main idea - a topic sentence to show this main idea

- Development of arugment with facts, examples, and logical reasoning. For example, give statistics to emphasise your side of the argument; how much students perform better with a solid understanding of the text types in the 2004 HSC ESL exam compared to those who knows little about type types for instance.

- At least one paragraph that shows you are aware it is not a black-and-white issue (in some topic)

- Conclusion which summarises essay content, gives no new information, as well as restates your view in different words.

Language features

- no emotive language

- linking words and pharses within and between paragraphs

- occasional use of every day language

- Use of pronouns (e.g they) and words like 'this' and 'these' to link ideas through the text.

- Acknowledgement of source (which makes your essay technically sound in the exam)

- Avoid personla pronouns

- Use complete sentence

I know essays are always tested in exams and obviously you need a more sophisticated approach to gain you the highest mark possible. This is some of the important aspects you need to be aware of. However, it is you, the composer, who put these little pieces together with your own style that makes a high quality essay. See more examples of essays that I've posted on the main ESL forum.

Diary

Structure:

- Use subjective style to recall and evaulate events and experiences.

- Present it in a chronological order.

- Reflection and comments on these events may be included.

- Use 'Dear Diary' opening as if to a personal friend or confidant

- Mention series of events, including places, people, cause and effect, give time sequence if possible, use dates, link with ealier entries.

- Writing for self, writing for others, use varied entry lengths and a range of responses

- Evaulate problems, note other's reactions, give expectations, forcast the future, note outcomes.

Language features:

- Usually informal, or colloquial

- Emotive language can also be used

- Use personal pronouns, such as "I" or "You"

- Use reflective, personal, confidential, conversational styles

The examiners will usually ask you for a diary entry in Paper I of the comphrehension part where it is usually worth 6 or 7 marks, with limitations of 100 to 150 words. I don't believe they could ask you for a diary entry on your Journey essays including your prescribed and a text of your own choosing. But always be prepared!

Feature Article

Structure:

- Eye-catching headline: be provocative, hold audience interest, express current interest or personality, use large print (use 4 or 5 lines on your writing booklet), follow with a byline (a line with the writer's name; you cannot put your real name in the HSC Exam, make something up).

- Introduction to topic: invovle the audience, introduce the theme, provide background information, place the topic in context.

- Development of topic: give writer's opinions, give other's opinions, provide witness or expert support, elaborate on the theme

- Conclusion, which makes a recommendation and suggest possible outcomes

Additional: vary the print, include photos or illustrations with captions (you don't have time to do this in the exam, you don't have to do it), be provocative or emotional, use a narrative style.

Language features:

- Informative, opinionative and interpretive

- Formal or informal depending on the topic or news story

Note: feature articles are commonly found in newspapers and magazine. Therefore, feature article is a generic term for newspaper articles, or a magazine articles. You are not required to write in columns, this is only done for the final product, not drafts.

Letter

Note: In the HSC exam if they ask you to write a letter in the comphrehension part worth about 5 to 9 marks, with word limits, you do not have to include your address, and the receiver's address on the top. You don not have time to do this because they are worth less marks than your journey text, and you do not want to waste your 100 to 150 words on addresses, as you may be penalise for the extra words.

Structure:

- You name*, and address* must be shown on the top left-hand corner of your letter. (* of course you cannot include your real name and address in your HSC exam)

- The date is usually on the top right-hand corner of your letter

- The receiver's name and address must follow below your address (they usually provide the adress to you, as you can see in the 2003 HSC exam English for Study, applying for the scholarship from university)

- Dear title (Mr/Mrs/Miss...) the receiver's name

- First paragraph: includes why you are writing this letter

- Depending on the type of letter you want to write, the content will invariably be different. For example, the content you include in a letter to your friends and family would be different to the one you write to a local council to request a certain aspect of the community to be changed.

- If writing to request for improvement or some sort to higher organisation like the local council to fix a certain road or park: express urgency of need, use the technique you know from an arguement essay, give main, solid reasons in separate paragraphs to demonstrate and explain the problems.

- Last paragraph: suggest possible actions or outcomes. Thank the receiver for taking the time to read your letter

- Includes Yours sincerely, follow by your name*

Language features:

- Style: direct, conversational; confidential; empathetic; concerned; evaluative

- Objective language

- Can be formal or informal

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
If you want some explantion to other text types such as interviews, you can post your request here and I'll try to find my notes on them.

Sirius Black

Maths is beautiful
HSC
thank you so much on writing up all these notes, Survivor 39!!!:D

I was just wondering how to write a diary entry? (not the one that we scrap on our schppl diary:p)

Thank you again

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
yep done. I forgot about stupid diaries. They always examin that in the trials. :D

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Sirius Black said:
Is the letter to editor counted as essay or feature article ?
If neither of them,, can u add it in?
Thanx
*shrugs* are you kidding? you don't know how to write a letter?!

ottenman

HSC
Survivor39 said:
If you want some explantion to other text types such as interviews, you can post your request here and I'll try to find my notes on them.
interviews would be good, thanks heaps

alicemojo

HSC
Thanks heaps, those are pretty succint, decent notes!

stellahe

HSC
aaa thx a lots
but i m wondering u noe the letter to the editor
is it huv the same structure as letter???
or may some little different??

and if u got any letter to the editor can u plz post it ??
thank u

loolee

HSC
Survivor39 said:

Could I have one please....thank's a lot!!!

dhampoet

HSC
N/A
Hi
Anyone know text type that use first person?
speech
interview
narrative
That are what come into my mind now

jansen1

HSC
Survivor39 said:
Knowing what exactly is needed in any text types is extremely important. as you could encounter ANY text types asked by the examiners in the HSC ESL exams. I've gathered some information from my notes and post them on here so that hopefully you get a better understanding of how structures and language features are used in a typical research and factual report, speech, argument essay, explanation essay, diary, and feature article.

Research Report

Structure:

- Requires a heading; for example, "How To Study English Successfully".

- Information organised under section headings. Headings and formats vary across study areas, but these basic headings are common. For example: Aim, and method.

Language features:

- Formal

- Objective not subject language

- Passive voice is used

- Few personal pronounce

- Generally past tense

This text type is usually used in scientific reports.

Factual Report

Structure:

- Requires an Introduction which defines and/or classifies the topic

- Focus throughout on facts, not opinion

- Paragraphs that describe different aspects of the topic (sub-topics).

- Each paragraph is about one aspect of the subject only

- Use topic sentence to outline the issue being discussed for each paragraph

- Conclusion rounds off the topic

Language features:

- Formal and impersonal language

- often passive voive is employed

- Ususally present tense

- Reference is use to acknowledge the source of information (obviously in exam condition, you can't reference).

Note: Factual report is more common tested in HSC exams than Research report.

Speech

Structure:

- Opening, which quickly catches the audience's attention, and at the same time establishes the topic and purpose of speech.

- Ideas and information organised as appropriate to purpose of speech

- Included information must follow a logical flow, which will be meaningful to both the speaker and listeners

- Conclusion, which relates to the content and purpose of the speech, it may include, for example, a qustion, a recommendation, or a warning. For instance, "Why should we learn about the diversity of structures in different text types?" (rhetorical question is used).

Language features:

- Address the audienc; for example, ladies and gentleman, or class depending on the situation that is applied.

- More repetition and restatement of ideas than in writing - to help your listeners follow the ideas. (Not too repetitive, this is achieved by stating your ideas differently each time to reinforce the same piece of information/ideas/views in a way that it is interesting)

- Personal language

- SOME colloquial language

- Use of questions to set up a 'consersation' with listeners

Note: speeches are frequently examined in the HSC exam, KNOW IT WELL! Be fluent, and elonguent with how you compose your speech to get your point of view across to the TARGET audience.

Argument Essay and Explanation Essay

they are both very similar in terms of structure and language features, so I have combined them together here.

Structure:

- Introduction, which includes a lead-in senetence (optional), and a statement of your view on the topic.

- One paragraph per main idea - a topic sentence to show this main idea

- Development of arugment with facts, examples, and logical reasoning. For example, give statistics to emphasise your side of the argument; how much students perform better with a solid understanding of the text types in the 2004 HSC ESL exam compared to those who knows little about type types for instance.

- At least one paragraph that shows you are aware it is not a black-and-white issue (in some topic)

- Conclusion which summarises essay content, gives no new information, as well as restates your view in different words.

Language features

- no emotive language

- linking words and pharses within and between paragraphs

- occasional use of every day language

- Use of pronouns (e.g they) and words like 'this' and 'these' to link ideas through the text.

- Acknowledgement of source (which makes your essay technically sound in the exam)

- Avoid personla pronouns

- Use complete sentence

I know essays are always tested in exams and obviously you need a more sophisticated approach to gain you the highest mark possible. This is some of the important aspects you need to be aware of. However, it is you, the composer, who put these little pieces together with your own style that makes a high quality essay. See more examples of essays that I've posted on the main ESL forum.

Diary

Structure:

- Use subjective style to recall and evaulate events and experiences.

- Present it in a chronological order.

- Reflection and comments on these events may be included.

- Use 'Dear Diary' opening as if to a personal friend or confidant

- Mention series of events, including places, people, cause and effect, give time sequence if possible, use dates, link with ealier entries.

- Writing for self, writing for others, use varied entry lengths and a range of responses

- Evaulate problems, note other's reactions, give expectations, forcast the future, note outcomes.

Language features:

- Usually informal, or colloquial

- Emotive language can also be used

- Use personal pronouns, such as "I" or "You"

- Use reflective, personal, confidential, conversational styles

The examiners will usually ask you for a diary entry in Paper I of the comphrehension part where it is usually worth 6 or 7 marks, with limitations of 100 to 150 words. I don't believe they could ask you for a diary entry on your Journey essays including your prescribed and a text of your own choosing. But always be prepared!

Feature Article

Structure:

- Eye-catching headline: be provocative, hold audience interest, express current interest or personality, use large print (use 4 or 5 lines on your writing booklet), follow with a byline (a line with the writer's name; you cannot put your real name in the HSC Exam, make something up).

- Introduction to topic: invovle the audience, introduce the theme, provide background information, place the topic in context.

- Development of topic: give writer's opinions, give other's opinions, provide witness or expert support, elaborate on the theme

- Conclusion, which makes a recommendation and suggest possible outcomes

Additional: vary the print, include photos or illustrations with captions (you don't have time to do this in the exam, you don't have to do it), be provocative or emotional, use a narrative style.

Language features:

- Informative, opinionative and interpretive

- Formal or informal depending on the topic or news story

Note: feature articles are commonly found in newspapers and magazine. Therefore, feature article is a generic term for newspaper articles, or a magazine articles. You are not required to write in columns, this is only done for the final product, not drafts.

Letter

Note: In the HSC exam if they ask you to write a letter in the comphrehension part worth about 5 to 9 marks, with word limits, you do not have to include your address, and the receiver's address on the top. You don not have time to do this because they are worth less marks than your journey text, and you do not want to waste your 100 to 150 words on addresses, as you may be penalise for the extra words.

Structure:

- You name*, and address* must be shown on the top left-hand corner of your letter. (* of course you cannot include your real name and address in your HSC exam)

- The date is usually on the top right-hand corner of your letter

- The receiver's name and address must follow below your address (they usually provide the adress to you, as you can see in the 2003 HSC exam English for Study, applying for the scholarship from university)

- Dear title (Mr/Mrs/Miss...) the receiver's name

- First paragraph: includes why you are writing this letter

- Depending on the type of letter you want to write, the content will invariably be different. For example, the content you include in a letter to your friends and family would be different to the one you write to a local council to request a certain aspect of the community to be changed.

- If writing to request for improvement or some sort to higher organisation like the local council to fix a certain road or park: express urgency of need, use the technique you know from an arguement essay, give main, solid reasons in separate paragraphs to demonstrate and explain the problems.

- Last paragraph: suggest possible actions or outcomes. Thank the receiver for taking the time to read your letter

- Includes Yours sincerely, follow by your name*

Language features:

- Style: direct, conversational; confidential; empathetic; concerned; evaluative

- Objective language

- Can be formal or informal

it helps me alot !!! thanks!!

AnoSHa

HSC
thanx alot Survivor39. the notes really helped.
have u by any chance got any notes on Strictly ballroom and how dialogue has been used by the composer.
Any help would be appreciated. thanx again

historiography

HSC
for the creative writting section of the exam. will they ask for a specific text type eg. feature artice? or will they just ask for a creative writting piece avout journeys?ive only prepared a short story.

linjun45634

HSC
I was so confused on these stuff!!!
Thanks.
It will help me few hours later~

stuffypiddles

HSC
N/A
Thx... that helped a lot.

Heaps of our school's trial HSC papers ask you to write for a 'website'. I think that means a web article, but I'm really not sure how to write one.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)