Tennis Discussion - The Dark Horses of 2012 (1 Viewer)

Top Dark Horse in Tennis 2012?

• Ferrer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tsonga

• Berdych

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Del Potro

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Isner

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Tipsaveric

• Raonic

• Monfils

• Roddick

• Other Player. (Specify in post)

• Total voters

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Players who can upset the Big 4. Namely, Djokovic, Nadal, Federer, Murray.

Discuss.

My top 3 Dark Horses:
- Berdych (a dominant force especially on clay)
- Del Potro (someone who poses a threat to Nadal and Federer)
- Isner (the big server, most people want to avoid this guy)

My top 3 contenders for Dark Horses:
- Ranked 6th Ferrer (consistent play but requires a weapon that can threaten the big 4)
- Ranked 5th Tsonga (can be very inconsistent but can pose as a threat)
- Davydenko (personal favourite contender)

Last edited:

Autonomatic

HSC
N/A
At the moment, I would say Isner. His colossal serve and forehand has improved in the past year and and aspect that also is underrated is his second serve - with such stature he executes formidable, pinpoint kick serves with alot topspin and depth into the court. Remember, he was the ONLY guy that pushed Rafa (aka Clay-court God) to 5 sets in French Open last year in the 1st Round. He has also proved his imminent presence by closing in on the top 10 (which he has but dropped out due to not participating in Monte Carlo) and making his status clear by defeating the likes of Tsonga and Simon on their own turf recently on CLAYCOURT - note he also recorded wins over Federer on CLAYCOURT in his own country and Djokovic in Indian Wells.

Nevertheless, Isner is a towering guy and every match that he takes foot in may decrease his energy levels and intensity overall - making deep into the French Open would be harder compared to smaller tournaments; 5 set format, slow court, more rounds to play.

Berdych and Delpo can also be observed as dark horses due to the nature of their playing styles; a penetrating serve incorporated with the forehand that Thor possesses. Berdych as shown form in Monte Carlo and in also reaching QF AO and catching the Montepellier title. Delpo has featured in the Rotterdam finals losing to Federer but won the Marseille title. Delpo also showcased form in French Open history when he made the SF's in 2009, the year he obtained his prestigious US OPEN title.

Looking forward to French Open, but dark horses would be more defined once the tune up events are finished - Rome and Madrid.

On the side note: Wasn't Madrid going to be played on blue clay courts?

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
On the side note: Wasn't Madrid going to be played on blue clay courts?
I'm not an expert when it comes to clay
BUT
what's the difference between red and blue clay? (is it the slowness, bounce, spin, etc?)

Autonomatic

HSC
N/A
I'm not an expert when it comes to clay
BUT
what's the difference between red and blue clay? (is it the slowness, bounce, spin, etc?)
Blue Clay is untraditional and is unappealing. If I was playing on blue clay courts, I would be confused with whether it was a hardcourt or not :jawdrop: Might lead to mistaking the ball's bounce and ultimately timing your stroke? :uhoh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)