System to select and read texts. Suggestions? (1 Viewer)

How do you want to organise this system?

• System A (set time periods)

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • System B (read at your own pace)

Votes: 10 76.9%

• Total voters

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Ok, obviously with many and varied tastes in reading, there is going to be some diversion in what we want to read.

I have posted up the list (mostly classics) in the 'Reading List' thread, there are about 25 books on the list. I say we stick to the classics because that way it is easier to suit more people, but I do see the need to explore different types of books as well.

So here's where we need to decide how we're going to select texts. Perhaps we just select a few each week and poll them, and whatever gets the most votes we read? Any other suggestions?

There are two ways by which we could do this:

System A
After selecting the text perhaps we should agree on a time period (depending on the length of the texts)? I think this is where we're going to run into the most problems, cos I know we have some lighting-fast readers here and some that like to read at their own pace. To combat that problem perhaps we should work out a list in advance, so people who finish one novel before others can start on the next ones? How does this sound.

Here is an example of what Im talking about (disregard the texts Ive chosen, its just for the purpose of example):

Week one
Text:1984 (George Orwell)
Time:Monday 17/11 - Friday 28/11(Discussion begins 28/11)

Week two
Text:The Rape of the Lock
Time:Saturday 29/11-Monday 1/12(Shorter time period cos its a poem)

Week three
Text:Of Mice and Men
Time:Tuesday 2/12-Saturday 6/12

etc etc etc

System B

Alternatively, if this system seems a bit too structured, we could just agree on a list of texts (say 5 or 6 at a time) and the order in which we will read them, and when people have finished they can post up their thoughts straight away and wait till other people finish for their replies (whilst reading the next text). I personally like this system.

Vote either System A or System B

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i reckon we should have a Reading Appreciation Thread where we wrote down what we liked about a certain text... or multiple threads, one for each text, so discussion specific to that text can occur in there.

oh and i like system B.

WHY ARE WE SAYING TEXTS? YOU'VE ALL BEEN CORRUPTED BY THE ENGLISH SYLLABUS!!! AHAHHAHAHA :D

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I reckon ay.....Ive really gotta get out of the habit of saying 'text'! SHAME ON ME!! AHHHHH!

But yeah we'll have a thread for each book, we can put up a background to the author and book at the beginning and stuff and then post thoughts on it....

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
text text TEXT!!!

lol nah...i dont really care...i just think that system B may lead to the ending of books being given away and stuff
and system A is prob a bit too structured-i mean, we were given a set time to read a TEXT in english, i dont want to go through all that again..

so i dunno...maybe some sorta compromise between the two systems or something?? (dunno how..)

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Hmm yeah I spose you'd just have to stay out of the thread until you're done?

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
Self control? Erk.

System B sounds great, but I think 5-6 texts is a bit too much. Not for people to read, but if there are people who read really fast, they might be waiting for others who are either slower, or have less time to catch up. So, I just think around 3-4 texts?

Although I'm also not quite understanding the time structure for System B. :rolleyes: (edit) Do you mean that, for a set period of time we have a certain number of texts?

Last edited:

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Why should we have a system? Why don't we just post books that we like in a thread each or whatever and people (if they have read it) can comment on it if they want to?

EDIT: Another thing, reading is for enjoyment, is it not? So in order to participate in these threads you HAVE to read the books. Come on, when l HAD to read books for school l hated them, l prefer reading what l want, when l want. And something else to challenge your systems, what if people are slower readers than others?

EDIT 2: sorry l forgot you covered the slow readers in your first post.

Last edited:

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by sarah_#1_eel
Why should we have a system? Why don't we just post books that we like in a thread each or whatever and people (if they have read it) can comment on it if they want to?

EDIT: Another thing, reading is for enjoyment, is it not? So in order to participate in these threads you HAVE to read the books. Come on, when l HAD to read books for school l hated them, l prefer reading what l want, when l want. And something else to challenge your systems, what if people are slower readers than others?
Ok, we probably need a system so that everything stays under control. Otherwise there will be books and threads all over the place, as well as books that people have possibly not read. And MS 12 already said that if you don't want to read the book we can skip it. But in any case, I think I'd want to read books I've never considered reading before - that will be interesting and enjoyable in itself! There's no pressure here, just do it if you want to.

Plus, we're allowed to make suggestions or books, which should ensure you'll read something you like, and the point of this systems thread is to test out ideas. :)

I think.

PS. Sorry if I was being presumptous by answering the post people. :rolleyes:

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
But nevertheless people will post threads on books anyways, no matter if the system is around.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
I like System A, but I know i'll never read in a specific amount of time, so i'm voting for B.

2late

Not everyone is going to be able to read a book in a specified time period...

Maybe you could just have the text list and then let everyone choose what they want to read at their own pace?
Then there could be different threads dedicated to each text where people can discuss it with other people who have read it?
And how are you going to conquer not letting people know the ending of a book if it's being discussed in a thread?

Oh bugger.
This reading club thing counds very cool but there are some hurdles that your going to need to overcome...

2late

Oh oh i've got a question...

Should there be discussions on how the texts have been made into movies?? And if it was a crap re-make and what not...

That complicates things a bit more for you doesn't it? :confused:

fringey

HSC
Wow this is great idea. I cant wait to start to read again!!! 5 more days and it is total relaxation!!
Structured sounds fun im so not going to have anything to do in about 2 weeks. I think i will start getting sooo bored!

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by Daemontreu
Ok, we probably need a system so that everything stays under control. Otherwise there will be books and threads all over the place, as well as books that people have possibly not read. And MS 12 already said that if you don't want to read the book we can skip it. But in any case, I think I'd want to read books I've never considered reading before - that will be interesting and enjoyable in itself! There's no pressure here, just do it if you want to.

Plus, we're allowed to make suggestions or books, which should ensure you'll read something you like, and the point of this systems thread is to test out ideas. :)

I think.

PS. Sorry if I was being presumptous by answering the post people. :rolleyes:

Nah you've got it about right.

I agree there are some hurdles, but if things don't work its not going to be the end of the world....we can try something else out!

After doing more thinking Im thinking that system B would be the best, with an order in which to read the texts, that way at least there is some degree of order in posting about texts. How bout we set like 3 texts for something like 5 weeks? I know that is way too little for some (some ppl get through a book a day!), but in the meantime I guess you could go ahead and read something just for you.

The whole aim of this thing is to be able to talk about the books you are reading with others, so even if you are reading other things as well, at least you can talk about some of the novels with others...

Now we need to work out how we are going to choose these texts...
Any suggestions? Im thinking some sort of polling thing...

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ms 12
Now we need to work out how we are going to choose these texts...
Any suggestions? Im thinking some sort of polling thing...
Polling thing is good. But maybe first you should have a thread where everyone puts down something like a max of 2 books each? Or at least where everyone can agree on a basic list from which we can make our first choices...

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by fringey
I think i will start getting sooo bored!
i finished at 12.30 on thursday, and by 5.30 i was pacing the floor bored outta my brain

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)