syllabus question (1 Viewer)

Rahul

Dead Member
for making notes, on the right hand column, "Students", the practicals/skills.
do we need to make notes on them the same way we do for the other column?

Huy

HSC
N/A
they're usually write ups and pracs rahul.
so i would put them in a report format, as opposed to column 2 "students learn...."

also, some are secondary things, e.g. "gather, process .. from secondary sources" -- those ones you have to write up as if they were hsc questions (as i like to do)

e.g. discuss, assess
having the proper structures etc.

Rahul

Dead Member
i've got the different glossary terms, but sometimes i find them hard to use.

for eg: discuss why some wavebands can be more easily detected.
i jus wrote:

Only visible light, radio waves and some UV and IR can penetrate through the atmosphere.
{ which wavelenghts reach the ground and which dont, also which ones are intefered with in the atmosphere. [abt each type of EMR] }
If detectors are outside the atmosphere, i.e. in space, wavebands are detected more easily. This is because in space the wavebands havent interacted with anything.

i covered wat i found in the text, but i dont know if i have answered specifically to "discuss"

Last edited:

Huy

HSC
N/A
here's a pdf my ex-physics teacher wrote up,
you'll find it invaluable rahul :)

-and anyone else :)

but yes, you're right
for those "small/minor" discuss questions
they should have asked for a describe or explain.
nothing high-order.

for that Q
you can't go into detail with a discuss verb :)
you'd talk about the EM spectrum and then link it to absorption by the atmosphere, which is as far as you can go.

all i've got is (taken from excel, but for those of you who dont have it...):

* absorption from the atmosphere
selective absorption from the earth's atmosphere of some bands of wavelengths, have implications for how and where we study electromagnetic radiations coming from objects in space.

ultraviolet and x-ray radiation is absorbed by the upper atmosphere; much of the infrared radiation is reflected by water vapour and gases in the atmosphere. as a result:

ground-based astronomy is restricted primarily to the visible and radio wave regions of the electromagnetic spectrum with some narrow 'windows' in the near infrared.

it follows that to use these other radiations effectively (ultraviolet and far infrared), we need to 'get above' the atmosphere. orbiting telescopes and space probes travelling to distant objects are used to examine information in these bands.

============================================
yes, i rip off excel, but that's what i'll be doing in the trials/hsc and it has served me well just to regurgitate facts :)

Last edited:

Rahul

Dead Member
i have the list of the glossay terms, and what their description already:D

i think i have covered all those points, i used excel and jac to get them.

oh but that file is much better than the basic one CSU gives, top stuff huy!:D

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
ive never actually used the syllabus to study. everyones saying they study by checking off from the syllabus. what do you check? when u sit down and study, which column do u have to know? what do you make notes on? it all confuses me :(

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
thats coz our school really really screws up the syllabus by copy and pasting it around macmillan's chapter summary.

print the board of study 1, and learn the "students learn to:" column off by heart (making notes on each pt helps). the "student:" column (journal pts) is usually something you have to do like research or a prac, treat the research qs like the other column qs where u have to nail it down, while 4 the pracs, know how the prac is performed and the theory behind the prac, including the reliability and validity factors.

forsaken_99

Usually the left hand column is for recall stuff that you can find directly from a textbook, whereas the right hand column usually requires a bit more research, as shown by the term 'use secondary sources'.
They have to both be written up but it is a good idea to elaborate and go really deep into the right hand column as that is where the big mark questions will come from.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
as huy said...u should pay close attention to the verbs invloved...sont worry about columns since ull have to learn all of it anyway rite?

Dash

ReSpEcTeD
HSC
???

Rahul, we haven't even done all of the right hand column...
I don't even think that we have results for half the experiments
in the syllabus...
Where are you gonna get them from?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)