subject selection (1 Viewer)

tez216

HSC
how high of an atar can you get if your not interested in doing any of the sciences of high levels of math for the hsc? All students at my school who achieved band 6s in almost all their subjects ie english ext,history ext,legal,modern his etc didn't end up getting as high as I thought and its being said that you need state rankings in humantiies to be considered the same level as a student taking 4u math,chem or phys.Also does your performance in year 10 a good measure of your capabilities for hsc courses?For example if you have a good course average in english does this set you up well for high levels of hsc english?

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
how high of an atar can you get if your not interested in doing any of the sciences of high levels of math for the hsc? All students at my school who achieved band 6s in almost all their subjects ie english ext,history ext,legal,modern his etc didn't end up getting as high as I thought and its being said that you need state rankings in humantiies to be considered the same level as a student taking 4u math,chem or phys.Also does your performance in year 10 a good measure of your capabilities for hsc courses?For example if you have a good course average in english does this set you up well for high levels of hsc english?
even though most of the humanities (apart from eco, and maybe modh in *some* cases) scale lower than most of the stem subjects (apart from bio pretty sure) you can get a high 99+ atar with any combination of subjects, you don't need to sr them but aiming for a mid-high b6 draws you closer to a higher atar in the 99s to make up for the fact they don't scale as well as extension maths or the sciences. an all-rounder combo of low-mid b6s will get you around a 97-98 (depending on the specific humanities you're taking) but an all-rounder combo of b6s of humanities mostly in the mid-high 90s marks should land you in the 99 area

your performance/capabilities can change in the span of 2 years (y10 -> y12), either for the better or for the worse. while being a strong english student in y10 is a decent indicator of being a strong english student in senior years (from what i've seen) you can easily make an academic comeback during those years if you're willing to put in the effort and remain consistent in improving. this doesn't just relate to english but for other subjects too, especially maths. similarly if you don't put in the effort during senior year, even if you're the best english student in y10 you can easily fall off by the time y12 rocks up

tez216

HSC
thanks so much!
do you recommend picking those subjects and how content heavy would a combination like that be?
im interested in doing ext english,adv math,sor eco,already doing aah(accelerated),maybe legal?not too sure

liamkk112

HSC
thanks so much!
do you recommend picking those subjects and how content heavy would a combination like that be?
im interested in doing ext english,adv math,sor eco,already doing aah(accelerated),maybe legal?not too sure
humanities subjects usually have more pure information memorisation required than science/maths subjects, and if you are well prepared the chances are you can answer most questions with a pre-prepared essay. although science/math subjects typically have less rote learning, instead you will be placed in an unknown/unseen situation where you need to "think" of an approach on the spot, so while there's somewhat less content there's still pretty similar workload to humanities. i wouldn't say one is easier than the other, personally for me i'm not that good at memorisation, essay writing or source analysis which are the main skills in humanities subjects that you need, so i find humanities much harder. but if you're interested in the subject content which it seems like you are given you're already accelerating, the workload wouldn't be too content heavy for you

aqwerty13402

HSC
dont pick subjects absed on scaling please or 'how well you can do'. Unless you want the like 99.95, in most cases it doesn't matter. Most of my friends pick things like chem / physics because of how they percieved it to 'scale' and they're all doing horribly. None of my subjects 'scale well' and I'm doing well enough :). ALSO, imo, yr 10 doesnt show you anything about your capability. I was heavily advised against taking advanced math because I was scraping 60s in year 10. Now I'm ranked 1st in the cohort with an average for yr 12 of 93%. Just choose what you want, and what you are passionate about pls

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)