• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Stupid Question. (1 Viewer)

asdf

HSC
Hi
In UNSW, theres "bachelor of engineering, bachelor of science" UAI = 80.1and then theres "Bachelor of engineering (computer engineering), bachelor of science" UAI = 91.

If i do "bachelor of engineering, bachelor of science" with a major in computer engineering, would that be exactly equivalent to "Bachelor of engineering (computer engineering), bachelor of science" in terms of work and degree?

If so then cant one apply for the first one which has a UAI of 80.1 and do a major in computer engineering instead of applying for second one which has a UAI of 91?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Read your UAC guide carefully. I am not sure about the intracacies of the Engineering faculty, but from what I can read, if u do a plain Engineering/Science, u cannot specifically major in Computer Engineeringh

asdf

HSC
Ok thanks allot minai. Ive just got another question i need to clarify. "Bachelor of engineering (computer engineering)", what does it mean? lol does it mean "ive got a degree in engineering with a major in computers" when completed?

Thanks again. :p

asdf

HSC
Thanks Laz.

Originally posted by Minai
Read your UAC guide carefully. I am not sure about the intracacies of the Engineering faculty, but from what I can read, if u do a plain Engineering/Science, u cannot specifically major in Computer Engineeringh
I missed somthing. It actually says "Major studies: Science in combination with all engineering course except materials Science and engineering". Cant i just apply for this course (UAI 80) and major in computer engineering rather than apply for the other one i mentioned before (UAI 90)? Im confused....

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by asdf
I missed somthing. It actually says "Major studies: Science in combination with all engineering course except materials Science and engineering". Cant i just apply for this course (UAI 80) and major in computer engineering rather than apply for the other one i mentioned before (UAI 90)? Im confused....

I'm not sure what material you are reading, but a BE/BSc = UAI 80 is probably just refering to the general course type, whereas BE(Comp Eng)/BSc = UAI 90 is the actual course.

COMPB13645 - Computer Engineering Plan
COMPB13726 - Computer Engineering/Science Plan

Last edited:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Ah i see..
Ok, if u wanna do Engineering/Science, the UAI is 80 right? but for some majors, u need to achieve the required cutoff for that major, ie 90 for computer science

http://www.eng.unsw.edu.au/prospect/ug/uguai.htm
see how the UAC course codes for all the engineering courses are the same, EXCEPT for computer engineering, software engineering and some others?

asdf

HSC
Originally posted by Minai
Ah i see..
Ok, if u wanna do Engineering/Science, the UAI is 80 right? but for some majors, u need to achieve the required cutoff for that major, ie 90 for computer science

http://www.eng.unsw.edu.au/prospect/ug/uguai.htm
see how the UAC course codes for all the engineering courses are the same, EXCEPT for computer engineering, software engineering and some others?
aha right. So i may be accepted for B engineering/science but then i may not be able to do a comp. eng. major depending on my UAI, right?
I'm not sure what material you are reading, but a BE/BSc = UAI 80 is probably just refering to the general course type
Is there a general engineering course? I've never seen/heard of it?

Thanks for the reply guys.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by asdf
Is there a general engineering course? I've never seen/heard of it?
I'm sorry to confuse, what I meant was that that was the standard cutoff. Certain subjects have a higher cutoff (those with a higher Eng UAI). So normally 80-ish will be fine, except for certain subjects (like comp eng) where the cut off is 90-ish ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)