studying environmental sciences (1 Viewer)

jessthelock

HSC
I was wondering if anyone knew where would be the best place to study environmental based sciences?

is the environmental science degree at unsw any good?
or should i do a plain science degree at usyd. and major in environmental studies, marine biology etc...

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
I would pick the enviro science degree at unsw, or do a BSc at usyd and major in environmental science.

Marine biology while interesting (I assume so), is not professional at all really and it will be hard to get a job.

To get an enviro job it's much easier. Sorry for the brief reply, working on a mine site atm with a long roster.

PM me if you have any specific questions, I interact with a few enviros on site so I know what they do pretty well.

ddtng

HSC
I'm not familiar with the UNSW environmental science program, but just thought I should let you know that the USyd 'environmental studies' major is more of a rehash from what was left over from the Bachelor of Science (Environmental) after it was discontinued. My understanding is that you'd have another major as your first major and then have the environmental studies as a complement. I'd highly recommend against having simply env. std. as your science major (but if you plan to do marine bio, it goes well together).

I don't know what happened with the discontinuation of the USyd BSc (env), but I'm guessing it was due to low student numbers, and that its units were restricted only to students in the BSc (env) at the time and so were a waste of resources. These units have been opened up now to everyone else in its new form as the environmental studies major. The BSc (env) was also very restrictive in what its students could study and I'd imagine that the BSc (env) at UNSW would be somewhat the same. So I wouldn't take the lack of a dedicated BSc (env) as a bad thing, in fact the flexibility of the stock standard BSc is a good thing.

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A
I did enviro science at Newcastle.

Newcastle's program seems better than other unis, no other uni I have encountered has the same diversity of units and majors.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)