Studying at tafe (1 Viewer)

BlueSpirit

HSC
How long do you have to study at tafe until transferring to university for an IT course ?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Depends. I know a friend who did one year at TAFE, he's now studying Nursing at UWS.

I have another friend who's doing a two year course at TAFE, I believe, before studying at university.

BlueSpirit

HSC
Depends. I know a friend who did one year at TAFE, he's now studying Nursing at UWS.

I have another friend who's doing a two year course at TAFE, I believe, before studying at university.
Then how do i get into university within 1 year while studying at TAFE ?

Gigacube

HSC
What exactly is the name of the course you are studying at TAFE? The subjects that you do may be a factor in transferring into Uni.

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
it really depends on the uni.

I can't really say for IT, but my friend finished a cert 3 in accounting and was able to receive an offer from uws parra B.Bus.
other unis require a higher level of certification, e.g. macquarie requires at least a cert 4, and UTS/UNSW/USYD require diploma to advanced diploma respectively.

do note that although some unis will accept diploma, it doesn't mean you'll be able to apply for a particular course after receiving it (e.g you might complete your diploma in june, but in midyear, there are barely any offers from unis)

but yeah, as long as you complete a cert 3 or 4 you should be able to receive an offer from UWS - don't worry about fails, you can repeat them and pass and UWS will still give you an offer.

approximate average mark you need for each uni is:
UWS-pass
MQ-credit
UTS-high credit/low dist
UNSW/USYD-dist

Gigacube

HSC
Wow, I'm surprised your friend managed to get into uni with a cert 3. I thought you at least had to complete a diploma.
Whichever course you end up doing you should aim to get a Distinction in all your units.

TAFE is actually offering a Bachelor in IT degree (Network Security). It might be easier to transfer into uni with that degree as some units may be able to be counted or you may not have to transfer to uni. The best thing to do is to call up the unis you are interested in transferring to & find out the requirements.

BlueSpirit

HSC
Im still unsure about studying at TAFE, you think it would be a waste of time.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
a long time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)