• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Starting tutor in Year 11? (1 Viewer)

YuriqueS

HSC
Hello guys, I'm here looking for some advice.
I'm in Year 11 this year and as you know it's already the end of term one. I've been extremely stressed out deciding whether I need to start tutor now since i've been under pressure to consider it.
My friends are always saying "Oh, it's fine, I don't need to write notes, I can just use my tutor notes" "Oh, I learnt this at tutor ages ago" "Don't worry, the next topic is even harder" and I'm always under the impression that I'm majorly disadvantaged compared to them. (I know, peer pressure is bad :( )

The reason why i'm only starting to stress now is because, of course, HSC is creeping unexpectedly close. I haven't gone to a tutor ever since Year 6 for selective. Despite that, I've been always comfortably situated at the top of my grade not putting too much extra effort. A grade where probably 80-90% of them are tutored. And for that reason I've never really considered needing it.
When i hear them complain that they have tutor hw or an exam coming up and they can't work on their assignment/study of exam, I just feel glad i don't have to spend my time doing that.

But since it's been hounding me for a while and I don't want to risk my HSC just because I'm 'disadvantaged', I would like to ask a few questions.
Is it too late to start? I know classes have already started and they are probably doing stuff that require 3U that I haven't been taught yet. I also plan on doing 4U next year if i can make it and i know that there's already a 4u class too
And if not, when is it too late? To the point that I've dug myself a hole and i can't catch up
I've been thinking about going to troungs because a lot of my grade seems to be there too...
Would i completely fail the entrance exam and placed with lower grades? (Because all I know is the stuff i've been taught at school)
Or any other advice related to tutor or HSC?
Or even, should i try and take the risk of going into the HSC without tutor?

Thank you to anyone who has bothered to read this long paragraph or even reply!

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
1. It isn't too late to start tutoring.

2. At the moment you don't sound like you are struggling, and it would probably be a waste of money?

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
I'm in Year 11 this year and as you know it's already the end of term one. I've been extremely stressed out deciding whether I need to start tutor now since i've been under pressure to consider it.
My friends are always saying "Oh, it's fine, I don't need to write notes, I can just use my tutor notes" "Oh, I learnt this at tutor ages ago" "Don't worry, the next topic is even harder" and I'm always under the impression that I'm majorly disadvantaged compared to them. (I know, peer pressure is bad :( )

The reason why i'm only starting to stress now is because, of course, HSC is creeping unexpectedly close. I haven't gone to a tutor ever since Year 6 for selective. Despite that, I've been always comfortably situated at the top of my grade not putting too much extra effort. A grade where probably 80-90% of them are tutored. And for that reason I've never really considered needing it.
When i hear them complain that they have tutor hw or an exam coming up and they can't work on their assignment/study of exam, I just feel glad i don't have to spend my time doing that.

But since it's been hounding me for a while and I don't want to risk my HSC just because I'm 'disadvantaged', I would like to ask a few questions.
Is it too late to start? I know classes have already started and they are probably doing stuff that require 3U that I haven't been taught yet. I also plan on doing 4U next year if i can make it and i know that there's already a 4u class too
And if not, when is it too late? To the point that I've dug myself a hole and i can't catch up
I've been thinking about going to troungs because a lot of my grade seems to be there too...
Would i completely fail the entrance exam and placed with lower grades? (Because all I know is the stuff i've been taught at school)

People have got to understand that getting a tutor does not guarantee you anything. Some people in fact perform worse with tutors. How are you disadvantaged? "Risk" What?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
You don't get a tutor just because other people have one and you feel like you missed out-that's not a good substantial excuse, you only get a tutor if you want to be the top of your class-say come first in all your subjects but you don't exactly know how to get there, if you are comfortable where you are sit now and comfortable with the sort of ATAR you think your current effort will get you, then you don't need a tutor. Although just one warning-you might want to put a lot more effort into your studies seeing your HSC will be sooner than you know it and you don't want to regret your choices of not having studied so much when it is too late. Getting a tutor doesn't decrease the amount of effort you put into any particular subject.

YuriqueS

HSC
1. It isn't too late to start tutoring.

2. At the moment you don't sound like you are struggling, and it would probably be a waste of money?
Thank you the reply! Yep, I've still been able to understand the work without too much difficulty. I kinda still want to wait until my mid year results to see if I can still get the same marks as my previous years.
Since I think that i'll probably only get maths tutor, it won't be too much of a waste?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you the reply! Yep, I've still been able to understand the work without too much difficulty. I kinda still want to wait until my mid year results to see if I can still get the same marks as my previous years.
Since I think that i'll probably only get maths tutor, it won't be too much of a waste?

Wait till half yearlies, but maybe up the studying?

YuriqueS

HSC
Don't worry, I do understand that people aren't guaranteed better marks with tutors. I can see from quite a lot of people in my grade haha.
Disadvantaged is probably not the right term for it, but that's indeed what i feel. I do intend of topping my grade, and compared to those who can make use of their tutors, I feel "disadvantaged"
And risk as in, the chance that I'm not able to stay in my current ranking because everyone would now working just as hard as I am

YuriqueS

HSC
You don't get a tutor just because other people have one and you feel like you missed out-that's not a good substantial excuse, you only get a tutor if you want to be the top of your class-say come first in all your subjects but you don't exactly know how to get there, if you are comfortable where you are sit now and comfortable with the sort of ATAR you think your current effort will get you, then you don't need a tutor. Although just one warning-you might want to put a lot more effort into your studies seeing your HSC will be sooner than you know it and you don't want to regret your choices of not having studied so much when it is too late. Getting a tutor doesn't decrease the amount of effort you put into any particular subject.

That's exactly what i want to do, top my class, but i guess the only way I know to get there is to study well? Do a bunch of past papers? My current marks are kinda on the boundary of my atar goal so i don't want to risk not being able to reach it. But don't teacher mark harser and the tests are generally harder compared to the junior years? Meaning that I won't be able to get the same marks with the same amount of effort?
Yep, I'll be putting a lot more effort that I was in the previous years!

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
That's exactly what i want to do, top my class, but i guess the only way I know to get there is to study well? Do a bunch of past papers? My current marks are kinda on the boundary of my atar goal so i don't want to risk not being able to reach it. But don't teacher mark harser and the tests are generally harder compared to the junior years? Meaning that I won't be able to get the same marks with the same amount of effort?
Yep, I'll be putting a lot more effort that I was in the previous years!
Before I forget, here is some study tips to help you along the way :) http://community.boredofstudies.org...r-year-studies-yr-11-12-99-atar-graduate.html

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A

One of the classes is up to integration, but there's a way of catching up easily

For year 11, there's no entrance exam I believe as most of the time they don't accept senior students (I've seen senior students getting accepted though)

For safety, use a tutor for the HSC

P.S. Don't call the tutor "truongs" when ppl don't know who/what "truongs" is. It's going to confuse the hell out of everyone
Call it ngo and sons because that's what the actual name of the tutoring place is

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
One of the classes is up to integration, but there's a way of catching up easily

For year 11, there's no entrance exam I believe as most of the time they don't accept senior students (I've seen senior students getting accepted though)

For safety, use a tutor for the HSC

P.S. Don't call the tutor "truongs" when ppl don't know who/what "truongs" is. It's going to confuse the hell out of everyone
Call it ngo and sons because that's what the actual name of the tutoring place is
:haha:

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
If you are doing ok currently and have no difficulty keeping up with the course, then maybe you don't need a tutor. That does not mean a good tutor cannot boost your performance further. Also if you can do well through your own study, your own efforts, then your knowledge is even more "solid".

As for whether or not it is too late to get a tutor, you are thinking of going to a tutoring centre like Dr Du's, Matrix, Ngo & Sons, etc. If you use a private tutor, then things are more flexible - but you need to get a good tutor.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
If you are doing ok currently and have no difficulty keeping up with the course, then maybe you don't need a tutor. That does not mean a good tutor cannot boost your performance further. Also if you can do well through your own study, your own efforts, then your knowledge is even more "solid".

As for whether or not it is too late to get a tutor, you are thinking of going to a tutoring centre like Dr Du's, Matrix, Ngo & Sons, etc. If you use a private tutor, then things are more flexible - but you need to get a good tutor.
Like Drongoski

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)