Starting HSC Mathematics Advanced and Extension (1 Viewer)

helloworld!

HSC
Hello!
Year 11 is finally over, and HSC year is literally a couple of weeks away. For this reason, I was wondering exactly which preliminary topics are tested in year 12, or is everything built up off of preliminary content? If so, which preliminary content should I focus on to achieve high marks in year 12?
Thank you,
helloworld!

indeed

HSC
For advanced a lot of the prelim stuff is going to be built upon in hsc yr

for extension 1, there's still a lot of building on, but there's also a lot of content that won't be relearnt and it pops up in hsc quite a bit = perms and combs, polynomials, graph versions (e.g. square root, absolute value) etc. (anyone feel free to add on anything ive missed)

But overall, don't stress just relax and take a good break from prelims, i would say to my younger self ive overworried when i was heading into hsc yr

member 6003

HSC
If you want to prepare for year 12 in the break I'd just start on the year 12 content, whatever your first task is gonna be on. Skim through the textbook to learn it then go through trial papers from thsc on that topic. That's what I did anyway.

For extension, combinatorics is not revisited at all so learn it properly but you'll still probs need to revise on it before trials. Some pp lose marks on weird graphs like y^2=f(|x|) or y=arcsin(f(x)) that they forgot from year 11.

helloworld!

HSC
Thank you all for your replies. Trust me, I feel burnt out and I know I need a break. I took a couple of days off and that was more than enough to anger my parents. They are forcing me to keep following the 6am-11pm school study schedule topped with school bell and period timings and limited social interactions. All in all, I do not really have a holiday. I will implement your tips and suggestions. Thank you once again :)

helloworld!

HSC
Thank you all for your replies. Trust me, I feel burnt out and I know I need a break. I took a couple of days off and that was more than enough to anger my parents. They are forcing me to keep following the 6am-11pm school study schedule topped with school bell and period timings and limited social interactions. All in all, I do not really have a holiday. I will implement your tips and suggestions. Thank you once again :)
#urasiannotbasian

carrotsss

HSC
That sucks and is completely pointless - I’ve done pretty decent in year 12 maths and I went overseas for the September holidays last year, and even in the summer holidays where I covered the whole syllabus, I spent 3 weeks just having fun with family (including one at the beach), was working 20+ hours most weeks and playing games with/calling friends for hours almost every evening. 6am-11pm is just unproductive and unhealthy

member 6003

HSC
that sucks man, your parents sound like assholes. hope you do well either way

helloworld!

HSC
Thank you both for your kind words. Yeah, I had a huge fight with them last time I asked for a break and some mental help with my burnout. At the end, I've just realised that I'm working more for them instead of realising my own passions and dreams. BoS seems to be my only social and relaxing outlet. Cheers.

WeiWeiMan

HSC
For advanced a lot of the prelim stuff is going to be built upon in hsc yr

for extension 1, there's still a lot of building on, but there's also a lot of content that won't be relearnt and it pops up in hsc quite a bit = perms and combs, polynomials, graph versions (e.g. square root, absolute value) etc. (anyone feel free to add on anything ive missed)

But overall, don't stress just relax and take a good break from prelims, i would say to my younger self ive overworried when i was heading into hsc yr
Inverse trig bro, I never learnt it and just try to resort to common sense tactics which don’t always work (for algebra proofs mostly).

Unovan

ATAR loading...
HSC
Inverse trig bro, I never learnt it and just try to resort to common sense tactics which don’t always work (for algebra proofs mostly).
Bruh you're in year 9 talking about inverse trig, if I don't come back here in december 2026 and see you got 99.95 I will be disappointed

Unovan

ATAR loading...
HSC
in year 9 i played fortnite Monday-Friday, sports Saturday-Sunday

Unovan

ATAR loading...
HSC
English -_-
You'll be fine boss think about it you have 3 entire years before you have to sit the english exam (I have 17 days), surely you'll be able to write 3 amazing essays, write eitehr a creative or discursive and asnwer some piss easy short answers if you do even a bit of study consistently over that time. anyway I assume you go to (or are going to go to) a high ranking school so either way you'll be fine. Just enjoy your younger years, after year 12 there will only be more responsibilities for you so don't miss out on these years

ZakaryJayNicholls

HSC
Uni Grad
Hello!
Year 11 is finally over, and HSC year is literally a couple of weeks away. For this reason, I was wondering exactly which preliminary topics are tested in year 12, or is everything built up off of preliminary content? If so, which preliminary content should I focus on to achieve high marks in year 12?
Thank you,
helloworld!
Every topic will be covered to some extent, the exams can technically even include content from 7-10 curriculums as math is a cumulative enterprise.

Make sure you are exceptionally good at algebra (equations, simultaneous equations, solving, and graphing) as well as calculus (derivates, tangents/normals, derivative rules, and uses of calculus), these are two of the most important topics needed for year 12 advanced mathematics.

For Extension, knowing all of your advanced is important plus trig and combs/perms can be quite important for continued Extension.

Last edited:

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Hello!
Thank you,
helloworld!
most topics are continued on into the HSC year e.g calculus, trig so technically you'll already be re-applying year 11 knowledge but in more depth so you wouldn't really need to crack up your yr 11 cambridge trig chapter for revision haha. The only one I'd pay attention to study is combinatorics + binomial topic since its pretty easy to miss it in your HSC year and thats what tripped up hsc 2020/2021 (idk the paper with the wierd binom question).

also ext 2 can throw stuff from ext 1 e.g solids of revolution in 2021 hsc mx2 paper, so its best you be well rounded in ext 1/ext 2 topics before heading into the hsc exam.

Just focus on getting through the hsc year when it comes, for now just have a break and get back to preparing for the next term.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)