Standard model of matter (1 Viewer)

chriss95

HSC
Can often pop up as a 7 mark response. Anyone have a nice exemplar response to this if they asked you to discuss the standard model of matter? I don't know how to tie it all into a nice response

Demise

HSC
The standard model as in quarks? I haven't seen a 7 marker based on this? Am I missing something?

nightweaver066

HSC
A question worth that much involving the standard model of matter should involve other aspects too. Some things you could talk about depending on the question:
- What is the standard model of matter
- Components of it
- Talk about accelerators and how they work -> link to discovery of particles that were predicted by standard model, e.g. charm quark, W and Z bosons, top quark, etc.
- Shortcomings of standard model - why only 6 quarks? Is a "leptoquark" possible? etc.

chriss95

HSC
Standard model:

3 types of particles: leptons and quarks (matter particles), and bosons (force-carrier particles). Hadrons are a group of 2 or 3 quarks, since quarks do not exist alone. They can be baryons (made up of 3 quarks), ie proton/neutron, or mesons (made up of a quark and an anti-quark), ie pion. Leptons are extremely small, ie neutrino/electron. Force carrier particles - gluon (strong nuclear force), photon (electromagnetic) and weakon (weak nuclear force) ... graviton is supposed to be the force-carrier particle of gravity, but not yet identified.

I don't know how to tie it into a nice response though. Look at 2004 HSC, q31 c; it is with particle accelerators though.

EDIT: @nightweaver, ok then, I guess thats a bit more to talk about.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)