stalemate ????? (1 Viewer)

angel_fire

HSC
stalemate...
Can anyone tell me what it is? I have done it in class but we all tend to talk about things in class not actually write them down and well I can not remember. Does it have something to do with not fighting or something. I am not quite sure. All my text books tell me how it was broken etc but I am not sure what happened. Please help if you can.
thanks so much..
can I help anyone if so just drop me a line. will help anyone if I can.

hatty

Banned
stalemate was when both sides "dug in" their trenches and none of them could find a way to break the others defences. hence both sides neither gained or lost ground. thats a stalemate.

i got 92 for history :)

Mm_cookies

Banned
HSC
also the stalemate was when both sides where stuck, many atempts were made to brake the stalemate with tanks being the biggest factor in the allie win! the germans introduced gas, and machine guns were used in much higher numbers

mewcou

And in chess terms, if the other player forces a stalemate, punch them in the face.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
"Stalemate" applied to a number of things. It did apply to when bothe sides "dug in" etc, but is also used to describe in general, when each side uses major tactics, but don't get anywhere. In general, the stalemate came about with wrong tactics like Genral Haig's "over the top" strategy and so on.
Hope that Helps,

craz

HSC
War of attribution. Example: Christmas 1914 was a break from fighting i can't get over how chummy they all were - it was like there was no enemy but the next day it was back to fighting again. Stalemate is when two sides were unable to fight and dug trenches. Hence the people running out and getting mowed down and the bombings into trenches.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)