St. Dom's Lecture-thingy (1 Viewer)

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
Im going to another of these 4unit lecture things. This one is at St. Dominics next Wednesday. Anyone else going?? 5 buks ...

Ac

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
Macca, if you can read this, then could you bring a note tomorrow saying that you can drive down in Tynan's car? 'Cause Paton said it was ok.

Ac

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
That was a much better meeting. We spent all day listening to people: former markers, some super-credentialed writer and then we got into small groups and had a chat with others.

Good day all round :)

Ac

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
*looks around forumn*

"Is it just me, or .... hmm ... yes it is." :(

Ac

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
Yes! I *did* learn lots of stuff on this particular occasion. Only thing is, the seats were REAL uncomfortable, and when I realized that the woman (who spoke for 3 hours) had written a book on what she was saying, I sorta zoned out and promised to buy the book.

The former markers gave good insight too. They were honest (brutally at times) of what they got and what they were looking for. And re-assured us about the marking process. I think is was very sucessful.

Ac

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
From my teacher ...

Shes taking us to a writers workshop on 9th Jan as well ...

Ac

whisperer

Sorry if I'm intruding, but did these markers say anything they liked/disliked about a short story, only that's what I'm looking to write, and I don't live anywhere near Sydney, and lectures are hard to get to even when I can find out about them, especially since I don't know anyone.:)

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
Its curious in that respect. One marker said that "new, original" was a very good way to go.

But following, another said that sticking to whats been done and diong it good yourself is a very good way to go as well.

At the end, we got to ask a question, and someone commented on the conflicting comments by the markers ... in their "cover-up" (?)... they jusy re-assured as that if it is completly original/been worked before, if you can write it, put a new spin on it, and do it well ... then your marks will do well as well ...

Thats pretty much it ... this course is rather ... open-ended ..

Ac:cool:

harvest

I hope this doesn't repeat. I already tried to send it once but the computer froze. Nyways - how do you find out about these things if you go to a crap school? I mean these lecture thingys?

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
Well, best way for you would be to hang around here more often ... I'll certainly post about anything I hear ...

Ac

whisperer

How many of these english days do sydney schools actually go to? Do you think they're worth it? Because I know the NSW writers' centre has workshops on the AOS-change for 2unit english on the 23rd of January, but it's a long way if they're going to talk about nothing... The same for english extension 2- I mean there is sometimes creative writing courses around, but they're probably not going to specifically help my story- but they would look good on paper I suppose.
Do you need to show you've been to things to get better marks?:(

Lord Ac

Trust me *wink*
HSC
Well ... I dont think they are *that* important. Your right that they are impressive to say that you went to this and that and the other because of this course, etc.

For me, its a day to do something differnt, skip school and I dont pay for it anyhow ... so .. I guess you have to weigh up your own factors thingies ..

Ac

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)