• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Sooooooo, Australia has been squirreled by GM (1 Viewer)

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Corolla's are made in South Africa... well my brothers Corolla Sportivo (when he owned it) had a badge saying it was manufactured in South Africa, the engine was manufactured in Japan...

Hopefully the European manufacturers would see that we are a gateway into the emerging markets of China... With that said, we are a country that is a lot more accessible to those markets; freight would be a lot cheaper, the expertise is already here, factories are already in place, etc... All the government needs to do is deregulate the automotive industry and make it easier for those manufactures to enter Australia... the dollar doesn't make it too appealing as well; there's pros and cons to everything I guess...
Imo, it will be the other way around. The regulation and protection was the only thing keeping the manafacturing over here, when that is all slowly removed the flood gates will be opened on imports. If the European manafacturers want to enter the Chinese market they will make them over there, I believe it's already happening to some extent actually. If they build RHD cars there too, that's where our base model "European" cars will be coming from in 5-10 years.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Corolla's are made in South Africa... well my brothers Corolla Sportivo (when he owned it) had a badge saying it was manufactured in South Africa, the engine was manufactured in Japan...
The reason why I said that is because people will stop buying Holden's and substitute them with Corolla's and Camry's.

My parents have only had two Holden's before and both were absolute rubbish. I'm not sure about current Holden's but I'm speculating that they will become less popular for losing their "Australian made" status.

I wouldn't be surprised if Holden was exterminated in 50 years time, and other GM cars took over.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
The reason why I said that is because people will stop buying Holden's and substitute them with Corolla's and Camry's.

My parents have only had two Holden's before and both were absolute rubbish. I'm not sure about current Holden's but I'm speculating that they will become less popular for losing their "Australian made" status.

I wouldn't be surprised if Holden was exterminated in 50 years time, and other GM cars took over.

Imo, it will be the other way around. The regulation and protection was the only thing keeping the manafacturing over here, when that is all slowly removed the flood gates will be opened on imports.
Yes. That's why I said that Corolla's and Camry's may end up taking over the streets of Australia sadly.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Yes. That's why I said that Corolla's and Camry's may end up taking over the streets of Australia sadly.
Doubt it, for one the Mazda 3 currently sells better than the corolla but besides that I think Korean cars will appear to be better value. By that time, possibly Chinese cars.

Last edited:

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
the impression I am getting is that they will still be making Commodores; albeit, it is going to be in a place that is a lot cheaper... (possibly the US, China or Korea)

However, I do not see the Federal Government playing ball and allowing them to import these vehicles for cheap...

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Doubt it, for one the Mazda 3 currently sells better than the corolla but besides that I think Korean cars will appear to be better value. By that time, possibly Chinese cars.
Yeah maybe. I only said that because of the stereotypes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)