Software Piracy- How it got me.... (1 Viewer)

yoshi

Originally posted by jezzmo
*hi5 bak* :D

that said, divX doesn't necessarily constitute a DVD rip.. i have downloaded some divx's which were recorded with vidcam in cinema, and were only slightly better (but significantly) than TMD (and heaps better than SMR).
I know SMR uses their own hacked MPEG-4 codec called nAVI. It's quite similar to DivX. Obviously, the codec used does not correlate in any way to the source of the movie. Like my previous post said, the quality of the end-product involves two factors: (a) the movie source (dvd, vhs, cam), (b) the encoder and encoding quality (divx, navi, wmv).

TMD/SMR/DivX/blabla has nothing to do with the movie _source_. A movie sourced from DVD may look just as good encoded by SMR's codec (with the right quality settings at encoding time) as encoded by DivX. Before you go all high-fivey on me, please check your facts.

edit: that said, i don't know whether i'm right or not... it may be use divx codec (which is kinda surpristing), which is lowered quality because its taken in a cinema...and yeh it is also a group of people who do it.
DivX, TMR's codec (whatever it is) and SMR's codec are all hacked versions of MPEG-4. Why would TMR using a divx-like codec be surprising? What does DivX have to do with where the movie came from?

yoshi

Originally posted by :: ryan.cck ::
im pretty sure tmd doesn't use divx codec
Well, instead of summoning the gods and using divine intervention to guess what codec it uses, why don't you check? Next time you're playing a TMD-ripped movie, if you're using windows media player, go to the File menu, then click on Properties, and it'll tell you in the field "Video codec." While you're there, could you also post the audio codec they used too, because I'm curious.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
video codec is "-"
audio codec = mpeg layer-3 decoder

Twintip

I'm starting to come across more and more Xvid ones. It's as good as DivX 5 and it's open source so it'll only get better. One day Ogg and Xvid will by the codecs of choice. Some of the TMDs are encoded with Xvid (like Old School which is a recent one). When encoding, I find I get the best results with DivX up to about 1000kbps and then Xvid is better from there.

lorigan85

this is weird this topic came up, cos yeh i got suspended by optus because a piracy group in the US working for Lucas Film, caught my fserver on mIRC in a warez chat room and sent my ip along with a bunch of other aussie ones of to Optus and Telstra to punish/warn as they sore fit. I had to pay a reconnection fee too and no internet for 2 weeks which is quite light, i thought. Ever since i have stopped sending files to ANYONE even on P2p progs but i still dl music with kazaa though using Diet Kazaa which SUPPOSEDLY blocks tracing software and they cant get your correct host/ip. As for movies, apps well still be careful.. companies like warner bros and record companies are losing out big and theyre quite pissed so more piracy groups and being setup and punishments are getting servere to scare people. :)

is a roflcopter
HSC
yes .....internet piracy is bad.........i cant fucken wait for cable..... :p

lorigan85

Beaky: you got a warning off Optus? what the hell.. what did they catch you using, holding?! yeah cable changes EVERYTHING Newbie.

JizZ

lol same here freaking_out

You guys should join OzForces, assuming your on 56k. Its supposedly the fastest one in oz at the moment, and they dont care about piracy. A while ago they had a poll on the site, "What do you use the net for", about 40% voted for warez lol

dudditz

Retired Member
HSC
AFAIK Optus is the only company that has suspended accounts for this reason. This isn't the first case I've heard of Optus doing this, but is the only ISP I know of that does it.

hurrotisrobbo

Cabbage
HSC
Pirate = Steals.

Copyright Infringer = Makes copies.

It's the difference between taking your TV, and making a copy of the TV and running off with the copy.

So, umm... Nyer? :)

fatmuscle

HSC
i'm iwth IDX and they just called up saying to unshare Macromedia files on kazaa

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)