Jesh

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
UNSW
but if u wanna do IT, then UTS

BraZen

Software Eng at UTS has just been redeveloped for this year.
I'd say its the best with the most dymamic subject range.
Ive enjoyed it so far

yoshi

Is UNSW, is good.

I'm doing it at UNSW now, and it ain't a general engineering degree tacked on with more programming classes in later years -- *cough* University of Sydney *cough* -- it's appropriately, a blend of maths, computing (programming), and information systems (databases, requirements, modelling, etc.).

Generator

HSC
N/A
I don't see any problems with USyd's setup, as at least the students will have a variety of skills that could be applied in a more general engineering sense...

(That's going on the last post which says that only USyd takes this path, but maybe they meant of the 'top' universities).

BraZen

In my option, software eng @ syd is pratically electrial engineering. All the subjects revolve around embedded systems with barly no coverage of information systems or IT related stuff.

Jeo

Originally posted by BraZen
In my option, software eng @ syd is pratically electrial engineering. All the subjects revolve around embedded systems with barly no coverage of information systems or IT related stuff.

are you serious?

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Already siad, but UNSW is definatly the best. So I have a biased viewpoint, but keep in mind that Da Monster, Yoshi and I all did our research last year and we all chose UNSW ...

SoFTuaRiaL

Originally posted by McLake
Already siad, but UNSW is definatly the best. So I have a biased viewpoint, but keep in mind that Da Monster, Yoshi and I all did our research last year and we all chose UNSW ...
is there anyone on these forums who does seng at uts/unsw?

ErgoSum

HSC
Wow

Forum full of unsw software engineering students mock USYD software engineering.. hehe shock!

OTOH you do have a good point that we focus a great deal more on embedded systems and electrical engineering than UNI NSW
you can see every compulsary course for software engineering at this page. http://www.ee.usyd.edu.au/ugrad/Degree_Info/se_res.phtml
Saying there is no computer science theory is pretty inaccurate, theres plenty of courses on computer science as well as other interesting things like databases and operating systems as well as 20 credit points of optional topics in stuff like ai and the like. So eh... yes Software engineering at USYD has a much larger electrical component, its up to you to decide whether thats a bad thing or not. Im pretty agnostic, if i was at uni nsw (2nd pref, it had a lower uai) id probably be in favour of their approach but seeing how im interested in video game development and also enjoy electronics im very happy to be at sydney

SoFTuaRiaL

shocking enough, some ppl do :( but then, if ure more interested in embedded systems, u'd rather do a elec or telecom course, why do software engg?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)