social and environmental implications... (1 Viewer)

shkspeare

wants 99uai
could any one tell me some social and environmental issues associated with the use of a particular metal (eg : iron or copper) in ship building?

thanks a lot~ this part is hard to bullshit in my assignment >.<

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Iron?

I'm sure there are heaps of information on it.

Mostly in relation to rusting of iron and the effects it has. i.e. it's poisonous, weakens the structure if used in buildings/ships and can be hazardous etc...

pollution on the water when the rust/bits of iron fall into the sea.

P

planeboy87

but is it of much significance? like if iron rusts a bit in a huge pool of water, then there would only be a little or no effect. So like would rusting have a significant impact on the environmental that is worth noting??

Furthermore, i couldnt find any info about iron pollution, except during the mining of iron.

Anyway, im doing mine on iron and for the environmental part i just talked about the effects of iron mining whcih is required to obtain the iron.

anyway, if you're going to do copper then i guess u can talk about how copper is toxic and all, but i dont think you can talk about copper paints to keep off the barnacles which accounts for 1/3 of copper pollution in the ocean, because mr butt said its MIGHT not be an essential part in shipbuilding, i.e. it is applied after a ship has been built.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
wow fortianz everywhere :eek: !
who be u plane boy

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
What if you were swimming and you happened to swallow quite a bit of water with the iron rust in it?

Same goes for marine animals which I was mainly targetting this problem towards.

But I guess if you can't find much information on Iron then try some other metals. I thought Iron would be the easiest to talk about though.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
another pollution you can talk about is the release of active ions into the waters from sacrificial anodes.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
look up books on iron, on the hazards, and then bs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)