so what does this mean for me???? Eng Std. (1 Viewer)

Pace_T

HSC
Howdy all...
So I made a mistake and chose standard english. I am above average at English (Well, I like to think that :p). In my halfy I scored an 86, equal 2nd in the year, including all english students (ext 1 and 2 also).
Now, I am aware that the standard english scaling is the same as advanced english. I am also aware that in standard english, it is harder to get the same raw mark as an advanced student, due to harder marking (or something like that, lol).
If I'm wrong with any of the above statements, please point it out.
Now, my question is, how much will this affect my UAI? I am expecting a UAI in the 80's and I'm wondering if this has ruined my chances of 80's UAI if I were to receive a low 80's score if I had done advanced english.
Please don't suggest reading the other English Standard threads, I've read all of them. I am just curious how much it will affect me in my situation.
I hoped that made sense.
Thanks all :)

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
well you have to consider that there has been previous band 6s in pevious years. however, there are people who actually do get band 5s in standard english, however it isnt as reported. however it is also true that advanced english students normally do get a band 5 quite usual.

this is to do with scaling as well. well the cohert of advnaced english compared to standard english is different. the people who actually do get a band 5 or higher in standard english do well in their modules but do particularly well in the AOS section of the paper in comparison to advanced english students. this is why these few get scaled up.

A l

HSC
N/A
Pace_T said:
Howdy all...
So I made a mistake and chose standard english. I am above average at English (Well, I like to think that :p). In my halfy I scored an 86, equal 2nd in the year, including all english students (ext 1 and 2 also).
Now, I am aware that the standard english scaling is the same as advanced english. I am also aware that in standard english, it is harder to get the same raw mark as an advanced student, due to harder marking (or something like that, lol).
If I'm wrong with any of the above statements, please point it out.
Now, my question is, how much will this affect my UAI? I am expecting a UAI in the 80's and I'm wondering if this has ruined my chances of 80's UAI if I were to receive a low 80's score if I had done advanced english.
Please don't suggest reading the other English Standard threads, I've read all of them. I am just curious how much it will affect me in my situation.
I hoped that made sense.
Thanks all :)
A technical correction plus a few facts:
It is equally as difficult to get the same raw mark for both English (Standard) and English (Advanced), however a high aligned mark in English (Standard) is harder to get than English (Advanced). The average band for English (Standard) is usually band 3 and the average band for English (Advanced) is usually band 5. Remember, your raw mark is used for scaling, not the aligned mark.

If you are doing well in your other courses then I think you can achieve your aspired UAI. Post your ranks and marks in your other courses, because they will pull you up, if you are also excelling in these other courses. If you are above many English (Advanced) students at your school and you are well above average in English (Standard), then you'll be fine as long as you sustain those ranks and marks. A handful of students doing English (Standard) get over 90 for their UAI every year. This is because they excel in their other courses, especially well scaled courses such as Mathematics Extension, which is typical of people who achieve this.

Pace_T

HSC
Thanks for your replies, it's greatly appreciated.
My scores are in this thread:

http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?t=70276

I think our assessments wouldn't be as difficult as the average of other schools. This is because my school is ranked #518, lol. Two people each year get 90+ UAI. About 70 students in every year 12.

"A technical correction plus a few facts:
It is equally as difficult to get the same raw mark for both English (Standard) and English (Advanced), however a high aligned mark in English (Standard) is harder to get than English (Advanced). The average band for English (Standard) is usually band 3 and the average band for English (Advanced) is usually band 5. Remember, your raw mark is used for scaling, not the aligned mark."

Ok, so it is equally as difficult to get a raw mark in the two english courses. This is used for scaling. But isn't the aligned mark used to calculate the UAI? Therefore, since the aligned mark is harder to get, it will greatly affect my UAI?

Also, say if I done advanced english and scored a UAI of 85.
Now, if I done english standard, what UAI should I have gotten?
Can even a rough estimate be predicted, given my situation?

Sorry if i sound all panicky and stuff.. I'm not. I'm just really curious about how stupid my decision was to do standard english, lol.

Thanks.

A l

HSC
N/A
Pace_T said:
Ok, so it is equally as difficult to get a raw mark in the two english courses. This is used for scaling. But isn't the aligned mark used to calculate the UAI? Therefore, since the aligned mark is harder to get, it will greatly affect my UAI?
The ALIGNED MARKS are NOT used for your UAI. Scaling applies for UAI calculation, hence your RAW MARKS account for your UAI, not your aligned marks.
Pace_T said:
Also, say if I done advanced english and scored a UAI of 85.
Now, if I done english standard, what UAI should I have gotten?
Can even a rough estimate be predicted, given my situation?
Assuming that you get the same or equivalent raw marks for English (Standard) and English (Advanced), you would have obtained the same or similar UAI.

Pace_T

HSC
"It is equally as difficult to get the same raw mark for both English (Standard) and English (Advanced)"

"Assuming that you get the same or equivalent raw marks for English (Standard) and English (Advanced), you would have obtained the same or similar UAI"

So you are saying that Standard English has made little or no difference to what UAI I will get?

Thanks.

Pace_T

HSC
Yeah. I've asked all the top students their scores and stuff. However, there are only 2 people in ext 2 :p
Overall my English standard assessment mark so far is 96

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
you have not taken into consideration one defining factor in you coming 2nd in your grade. you are doing different ests to people who are doing advanced. their tests are different. therefore you cannot differenetiate people who do advanced and standard.

the only module that you will do exactly the same thing as advanced would only be the AOS module. every otehr module, you cannot say that you are beating them, since aforemnetioned, different testing

Pace_T

HSC
That grade rank that I stated was based on the half yearly, not the school assessments. Only one module was different in the half yearly. Despite this, the whole exam was marked as similar as possible (that's what the markers told me). So I still think that a rank out of the whole year could be predicted with some degree of accuracy.
I am not basing my performance solely on that grade rank. I am merely stating it so as to achieve a more thorough explanation of my situation. If I were to state my Standard English rank and my average assessment mark so far, possibly with 2nd and 3rd scores, (I'd assume) you would not think that I stand a chance against the majority of our year's advanced students, as I'm just doing 'standard' english.
Obviously, such a rank cannot be made for the trials and HSC as there is too much difference in the course contents.
Thanks.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
pace_T said:
Despite this, the whole exam was marked as similar as possible (that's what the markers told me).
how would they know who did advanced for the AOS section. the questions that are not aprt of AOS are still different for both standard and advanced.
they would be marked to a different question, therefore different criterea, therefore different marks would be awarded for different things.

pace_T said:
I am not basing my performance solely on that grade rank.
i didnt know that it was baed solely on one test, but he aboce explanation still applies.

pace_T said:
If I were to state my Standard English rank and my average assessment mark so far, possibly with 2nd and 3rd scores, (I'd assume) you would not think that I stand a chance against the majority of our year's advanced students
even if they were marked very similar or in the case in your halfy that your quesiton was the same question asked for advanced, you still cannot say that you are coming 2nd or 3rd since you are still doing a different course to the advnaced students, otehr than AOS.

against the majority. you may be beating the majority of your grade's advnaced students, but you are up agianst the state. the state might have better advnaced students than your school and crapper standard students compared to your school. you have to consider still the fact that it is a different course.
though it is scaled the same, the cohert for students studying the standard course to the advnaced course are different. if you take into consideration the students who actually do study advanced majorly do better in their subjects than what most standard students would do. therefore you have to be in the top 2% or something of standard or something like that to be of a chance of gettting a band 5 in english.

uac uai doc said:
English Standard 30887 66 3 <1 2 30 48 19
English Advanced 26969 80 5 8 43 40 9 1
the first no. is:
candiature
median
%in band 6
" " " 5
etc etc

Pace_T

HSC
Hmm.. My half yearly was the same as advanced except for one question (a module essay). All other parts were the same.
Is that normal for other schools?

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
Pace_T said:
Hmm.. My half yearly was the same as advanced except for one question (a module essay). All other parts were the same.
Is that normal for other schools?
generally that was the case for most schools. i think they would either have had just AOS, or AOS and a module.

for my case, i had AOS hourney questions, AOS essay and module A.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)