Should I take Adv. units in my first year? (1 Viewer)

pananda

HSC
I got 86 in Chem for my HSC - an adviser put me down for CHEM1901/1902 (Advanced) and I'm sort of worried because although I like chem I do put a lot of effort into actually getting the concepts. Is it a bad idea to start my first year taking an advanced unit? Would it generally be better to work into advanced units, or like highschool, its better to start off with harder subjects and then you can drop if you don't like it???

Also I'm in my first year of Med.Sci but I think I might want to transfer into a double degree of B. Commerce/ B. Science in my second year...is it possible to transfer from a single to double degree? Anyone know if this is possible and what the requirements would be??

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions :)

Lopemann

HSC
First year WAM doesn't count for honours, so please feel free to do some hard units.
I would do some more advanced units, say CHEM1903 and CHEM1904, special study program.
Advanced units can give you more insights I reckon.

pananda

HSC
First year WAM doesn't count for honours, so please feel free to do some hard units.
I would do some more advanced units, say CHEM1903 and CHEM1904, special study program.
Advanced units can give you more insights I reckon.
Won't it be harder to get a credit average in an advanced unit though? I'm thinking of transferring in my second year, so for that I would need a credit average minimum right??

Lopemann

HSC
Advanced units are harder, but it's not necessarily harder to get a credit.

Taking the 'easy' units is not usually the way to get higher marks in CHEM. If the CHEM unit is designed as a foundation, there may be few opportunities to get higher marks in it. Easier to pass but harder to get high marks.

If you are really concerned about difficulty stuff, it's better for you to take "easy" units, because you will be more confident about your study then...

Symphonicity

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm doing advanced biology units this year and I'm nervous as heck about it, but I think it was the right choice. If you enjoy it and want to work hard, go for it. But I think you HAVE to be interested in the subject or the classes will be a real drag. Whilst I think the course would be more challenging, I don't think it would be any more difficult to get a certain mark.

pananda

HSC
Advanced units are harder, but it's not necessarily harder to get a credit.

Taking the 'easy' units is not usually the way to get higher marks in CHEM. If the CHEM unit is designed as a foundation, there may be few opportunities to get higher marks in it. Easier to pass but harder to get high marks.

If you are really concerned about difficulty stuff, it's better for you to take "easy" units, because you will be more confident about your study then...
I think that might be the case, I'd feel more comfortable studying the 'easy' unit for chem and maybe do advanced for another subject I'm more comfortable with. Is it hard to catch up if you transfer from a 'easy' unit to an advanced unit later on though??

I'm doing advanced biology units this year and I'm nervous as heck about it, but I think it was the right choice. If you enjoy it and want to work hard, go for it. But I think you HAVE to be interested in the subject or the classes will be a real drag. Whilst I think the course would be more challenging, I don't think it would be any more difficult to get a certain mark.
I'm really interested in bio as well and was thinking of doing advanced unit for that instead of chem, can I ask what's the point of doing advanced unit?? does it just look better - or is it more for personal interest means??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)