sept 11 influences in major works? (1 Viewer)

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
does anyone else think that the september 11 attacks and consequences had some influence/shows through in their artwork? :confused:

I think that it has in my work (subconciously, not intentionally), which is based around the absurdity of instructions on aircraft safety information/emergency cards and the idea that if you just follow these instructions everything will be ok. i ahvent included any direct references to s11 in my work... but planes falling out of the sky have a totally different meaning now.

also, just interested to hear what sort of stuff everyone else is doing for their work... pictures, ramblings, whatever or ever...

here's one of the things i'm doing - a fake plane safety card with stuff that might happen in/darker reinterpretations of a plane crash...

the front of it is attatched... comments/opinions/thoughts/etc... thanx.

Attachments

roo

HSC
hey saladsurgery.. hehe

ur card is really thought provoking! i agree with you about the emergency cards.

i personally haven't made any references to s11, but i just came back from our school's yr 12 art exhibition and there was no real reference to s11, but there were a few artworks refering to war.. as there is every year.

are you doing digital media? what's it titled?
:) :) :)

roo :p

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
Originally posted by roo
are you doing digital media? what's it titled?
some of my stuff is digital-- the card (part of a small sculpture/installation as information stand), 6 A2-size posters with images derived from it. both done in illustrator. the other thing is a series of 3 small collages - disaster scenes made with bits of plane safety cards. i don't have a name yet, but i've been thinking about it for ages... still no progress :mad: ... what are you doing for your major work? i'm interested in what people outside my school/freinds grp are doing.

roo

HSC
sounds interesting :)

i did digital media too, i used photoshop tho, so much easier! i conveyed the 2 extremes of teen life: suicide and uuh no suicide.. its called "intersection: escape or beyond" and also explores how teen life mirrors city life.

tell me when u get a title! ur concept is so unique!

roo :p

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
the reason i started this thread was that i had this idea that come marking time my work would be one in a range of s11-ish artworks.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
saladsurgery:
did u go to the sydney biennale at the mca, they had this video artwork about the whole plane and safety think, i think it was kinda satirical as well but its nothing like yours, similar subject matter but diff. concept. i thought it was really interesting, and your idea sounds really original too. i think that heaps of people will have been influenced by sept 11 but as long as you're original and innovative i think its ok. we actually discussed that in 4u english last year, whether or not it'd be too cliched to write about that for english, in the end everyone avoided it though.

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
Originally posted by johnson
did u go to the sydney biennale at the mca, they had this video artwork about the whole plane and safety think, i think it was kinda satirical as well
yeah i went to the bienalle @ mca , but didnt get to see the video - it was on the last floor i visited and they were closing as soon as i got there. did get the catalogue though, so there might be some useful stuff in there. thanks for the tip :)

Sugardoll

a girl in my class is doing her artwork based on the attack. Mines something completely different something to do with expressions (my theme seems to always be changing) I hope I finish it in time.

HSC
Originally posted by saladsugery

I think that it has in my work (subconciously, not intentionally), which is based around the absurdity of instructions on aircraft safety information/emergency cards and the idea that if you just follow these instructions everything will be ok. i ahvent included any direct references to s11 in my work... but planes falling out of the sky have a totally different meaning now.

also, just interested to hear what sort of stuff everyone else is doing for their work... pictures, ramblings, whatever or ever...

here's one of the things i'm doing - a fake plane safety card with stuff that might happen in/darker reinterpretations of a plane crash...

the front of it is attatched... comments/opinions/thoughts/etc... thanx.
Did you get that idea from the David Fincher movie "Fight Club"?

Cos they did something similar in that, they had some guy change the emergency cards with people in them screaming and in fear.

Great movie btw, one of my all-time favourites.

saladsurgery

kicking the cack
HSC
Re: Re: sept 11 influences in major works?

Did you get that idea from the David Fincher movie "Fight Club"?
Now that you mention it, i suppose there was some sort of influence, although i don't think i thought about it at the time - the card idea was an offshoot of some earlier stuff i was doing.

i agree with fight club being a v. good movie-- chuck palahniuk (who wrote the original fight club book, and also the screenplay i think) has written some really good (if disturbing :)) stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)