Senior english vs Junior english (1 Viewer)

HSC
(I'm in Year 10 now, fwiw) Typically, I'm an alright English student, I normally get a low A mark across most tasks, with the occasional mid A to ful marks, and on the other end the occasional high B. This year I am in the top english class for my cohort (selective school).

I'm rather concerned about senior English however. I wouldn't say my abilities in English are amazing and I'm never really certain what exactly I'm doing, I feel kinda like I'm bulls***ing my way through it lol. I have no idea what to expect, how different is it to junior English? My experience with doing accelerated maths is that senior maths is very different to junior maths. Can the same be said for english? I plan to do X1 english next year and (unless I really love it) drop it in year 12 to advanced.

Also what should I expect in terms of poetry (non-shakesperean). Poetry is by far my worst text form by far and I need to invest so much time into it to be able to understand it and analyse it.

I've heard from some previous HSC students that it is a reasonable strategy to build your notes (tee tables etc) off some else's (good) analysis so you don't have to spend time finding quotes with things that you don't really know. My main concern with this is like unseen short answer responses, because then you aren't practicing identifying techniques and analysing them... Lastly do markers like "exotic" techniques or is it safer to keep with more "simple" ones (eg alliteration, metaphor, simile, allusion, whatever).

any other general advice is appreciated :)

Marley_Rat

HSC
Uni Grad
(I'm in Year 10 now, fwiw) Typically, I'm an alright English student, I normally get a low A mark across most tasks, with the occasional mid A to ful marks, and on the other end the occasional high B. This year I am in the top english class for my cohort (selective school).

I'm rather concerned about senior English however. I wouldn't say my abilities in English are amazing and I'm never really certain what exactly I'm doing, I feel kinda like I'm bulls***ing my way through it lol. I have no idea what to expect, how different is it to junior English? My experience with doing accelerated maths is that senior maths is very different to junior maths. Can the same be said for english? I plan to do X1 english next year and (unless I really love it) drop it in year 12 to advanced.

Also what should I expect in terms of poetry (non-shakesperean). Poetry is by far my worst text form by far and I need to invest so much time into it to be able to understand it and analyse it.

I've heard from some previous HSC students that it is a reasonable strategy to build your notes (tee tables etc) off some else's (good) analysis so you don't have to spend time finding quotes with things that you don't really know. My main concern with this is like unseen short answer responses, because then you aren't practicing identifying techniques and analysing them... Lastly do markers like "exotic" techniques or is it safer to keep with more "simple" ones (eg alliteration, metaphor, simile, allusion, whatever).

any other general advice is appreciated :)
I just Finished year 11 advanced and ex1 english honestly i found them just harder versions of year 10 english. Yr 10 provides a really good basis for content in yr 11 (at least at my school) so if you have a good work ethic you really wont notice a difference. I really loved ex1 english, more so than adv by the end so i hope you do as well! As for poetry we studied W.B Yeats and Robert Browning - they are generally easier to understand as they are modernist poems but i am not sure your exact circumstances and course for your school. As for literary technique it is not so much about who can use the most complex rather the use of technique that fits the context the best and prove your point. I hope this helps, at least somewhat!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)