Semiconductors -Help (1 Viewer)

bicolap

hey guys a question. I want to know why the moving electrons cant soley make current but also the movement of "holes". Also whats the Use of Doping. I know its for making holes but, whats the whole point.

Cicciolina

HSC
I'm just learning this now so I'm not sure if it's completely 100% accurate - that and it's really really summarised.

A 'hole' is an absence of an electron, so it attracts electrons as though it is an area of postivity. So if you think about an electron moving into a hole, that electron leaves behind a hole - which attracts another electron, and that electron leaves a hole which attracts another electron... ok you get the idea. So effectively, there is a movement of holes. Hope this sort of answers your question and anyone, feel free to correct me since I'm just learning this :)

juber

jhv,m
HSC
N/A
Movement of electrongs CAN solely make currect.

Its just that movement of holes can ALSO make current. It just depends on what the dopant is (N or P Type)

So a hole can allow the conduction of electricity as it allows electrons to move and fill the appropriate holes, likewise a spare electron can allow current to flow.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
movement of free electrons in SC creates a simultaneous movement of 'positice'(in nature) holes in the opposite direction

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
when you are talkin abt moving electrons, they may be intrinsic conduction... in which case electrons are moving in brownian motion and do not produce a current...

Jase

HSC
the hole point of it is to basically make the semiconductor conduct better.
more specifically, doping alters the electrical properties to whatever is required, like for use in a transistor or diode.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)