Selecting Honours (1 Viewer)

GraPeOwO

HSC
I'm thinking about doing computer science for next year, and maybe honours. Can I select computer science and then after my 3 years, take the honours course, or I have to choose it now?

blyatman

HSC
N/A
Honours is a subject, and you can choose to take honours in your final year if your WAM is above certain threshold. You can't choose to do honours now, in the same way that you can't choose your 2nd year subjects now.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Which Uni? Macquarie Uni, for example, doesn't offer honours for most degrees (except for Law but that operates differently and Psychology )

Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Which Uni? Macquarie Uni for example doesn't offer honours per say (except for Law but that operates differently)
This. I believe Computing Science at UTS has mandatory honours for example, as it's intended for people interested in research.

At UNSW, as blyatman explained, I believe you would pick to do honours much closer to when you would be up to that stage, and there would be a minimum WAM requirement etc. This is probably the case for the majority of courses and universities.

I don't know how common it is for computer science, but apparently you can even do honours at a different university to where you studied your undergraduate course - but i've only heard about this for competitive honours programs where you really need honours to pursue the main career path (e.g. psychology).

GraPeOwO

HSC
Honours is a subject, and you can choose to take honours in your final year if your WAM is above certain threshold. You can't choose to do honours now, in the same way that you can't choose your 2nd year subjects now.
At Newcastle University, the only course available for Software Engineering is Software Engineering (Honours):
1602290410012.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)