section II Biotechnology (1 Viewer)

gabs*

HSC

How did everyone find the biotechnology questions?

i got a bit confused about:
B i) transgentic technology and how information was gathered and analysed?
Bii) the relevance and reliabilty of those sources?

What did everyone else put for these dumb questions?

Also the 7 mark question about aquaculture and biotechnology?

Last edited:

gaj

HSC
I just talked about different ways of gathering information, i.e. from the different sources (internet, books, scientific journal, government sites etc.) and then about cross referencing to outline the purpose of BT cotton. I didn't go into detail about the cotton but mentioned it a few times

For the reliabilty and relevance one talked about cross referencing, use of different sources, trusted sites, government agencies, etc.

aussieimports24

HSC
For the 7 mark aquaculture question I talked about ancient aboriginal cultivation of eels in western victoria and then compared their practices to the modern aquaculture techniques of yabby farming. I talked about how increased knowledge of genetic properties and artificial selection have led to more accurate and scientific processes of selecting and breeding the products of aquaculture (in this case yabbys). I don't know if that helps?

davzilla60

HSC
For the aquaculture, i talked about the nature of yabby farming. For the first source question i talked about the variety of sources used and how they were located. For the second, i just talked about what i would in history:
origin
Motive
audience
content ect

k4t5UM0t0

HSC
For the 7 marker
I wrote about the farming of atlantic salmon and something about pharmaceuticals from alga.
The wrote some advantages and disadvantages, i wrote a hell of a lot of stuff on it, but i was all probably waffle. Sucks to be the marker. I wrote in a way, so its difficult to decipher

k4t5UM0t0

HSC
I'm glad I did a few past papers, otherwise that sources question would've completely annihiliated me.
i)
Began with textbook for background. Internet to search for more specific information on transgenic technology. Observed a variety of websites ranging from wikipedia, government websites and scientific journals. Then I wrote something about transgenic technology like what I found out (I think I did Bt Cotton as well)
ii)
Relevance: some were highly relevant some weren't relevant but developed general knowledge on the topic.
Reliability: Biotechnologypnline was updated this year, government website. Other sources included reliable scientific journals, and wikipedia, which isn't very reliable.

gabs*

HSC
Thanks!
All the replies sound like what i did, its good to know that i wasn't the only one that waffled on for like 2 pages!
I hope you all get the results you want, are any of you going to uni next year to study something biology related? I'm taking a year off then i might do some in biology, so just wondering what kind of courses there are.

asmita.c

HSC
OMGG BIOTECH !!

that acquaculture question stuffed me up :mad1:

and arghh ! i wish i studied more for biotechh :bomb:

lol how did you guys find it

squeak29

HSC
For the relevance stuff and gathering i just said use multiple sources e.g textbook, internet, journals, books then cross reference.

For aquaculture i did the use of recombinant DNA in making transgenic fish for higher yields/more resistant to disease and stuff like that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)