SC Scaling (1 Viewer)

Peteage

HSC
I was wondering if anyone understands exactly how the scaling works for your school certificate grade (A-E Marks). I understand that a better schools grade will scale there mark up and a school that acheived worce would be scaled down, but I wanted to know the extent of this. Like would you be moved a whole grade up or down depending on your school, or just a couple of marks here and there?

A l

HSC
N/A
It's called Aligning. It works in a similar manner to the HSC, except that the raw marks are not scaled for the UAI (obviously). Your raw School Certificate marks (school + exam) are adjusted according to the performance band descriptors per band. The reason for this (like the HSC) is so that marks can be compared between years which can be useful for employers to interpret. In other words a mark of say 90 in one year is similar to a mark of 90 in another year for the same subbject. I think a similar process applies when grading School Certificate mandatory courses and electives. This ensures a useful comparison to the required standards of the SC and minimises differences in difficulty in the exams every year.
Remember that while most people use their Higher School Certificate as an indication of their completion of education, many others (namely those who do not continue to Year 11) use the School Certificate to indicate their completion of education.

Last edited:

lala2

Banned
HSC
Wow?! There is scaling? I thought only aligning existed, and even then, only very slightly (or maybe that was just because my school's standard of marking was very similar to the SC).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)