Rookie questions on related texts (1 Viewer)

mrpotatoed

HSC
Does anyone know where I can find the HSC list of texts (I think it's called something like that), the elusive list of texts that you are NOT allowed to use as a related text?

Also, is it especially important to have strong links in the ideas and/or similar techniques in the related text and the core text? My class is doing Gray, and I can't find many useful related texts that have some sort of discovery regarding nature :newburn:.

Thank you in advance for dealing with my most likely dumb and infuriating questions :love:

elkedag

elkemaand
HSC
Page 36 onwards has the list of all prescribed texts for English.
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/english-prescriptions-2015-20.pdf

Probably best to stay away from the drama prescriptions as well, since some texts cycle between drama and English.
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/drama-st6-course-prescriptions-2015.pdf

And it's probably a good idea to choose text types other than poetry for your relateds for AOS if you're doing Gray to show more diversity in your argument.

elkedag

elkemaand
HSC
And your relateds don't need to be about nature. After all, you're discussing the broad and complex nature of discovery, not nature. You can also connect your relateds on how they represent discovery differently.

dirty_ink

HSC
Yes, having strong links between your core text and related texts is probably the second most important thing after your thesis. Strong links equal solid arguments. Similar techniques between the two texts aren't really that important because different techniques might still generate the same effects (e.g. Short sentences in written texts and the use of certain sounds in films can create tension). As long as you're able to elaborate on the similar effects of the different techniques, you're all good.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
^
strong links to discovery more important than thesis
thesis cannot be set in stone in case they ask for specific question/area.

dirty_ink

HSC
^
strong links to discovery more important than thesis
thesis cannot be set in stone in case they ask for specific question/area.
I was referring to a thesis to answer a particular question OP may be given. Of course a thesis can't be set in stone if you're given different questions - you'd be placed in a different position every time.

mrpotatoed

HSC
How would I relate it using differences though, that would seem quite odd.

Also, for example with journey:the North Coast I talked about how the narrator discovers the simple beauty/purity of nature and its ability to give hope and inspire. As dirty_ink said, I would need to find a related that resonates similar concepts to the above to be able to closely link my two texts right? In which sense, I would generally need a related that involves nature. I can find a few relateds that revolve around the downfalls of materialism and the perks of a 'humble and modest' lifestyle which is about the closest I can get.

Sorry I'm finding this related text stuff difficult :confused:

Last edited:
HSC
How would I relate it using differences though, that would seem quite odd.

Also, for example with journey:the North Coast I talked about how the narrator discovers the simple beauty/purity of nature and its ability to give hope and inspire. As dirty_ink said, I would need to find a related that resonates similar concepts to the above to be able to closely link my two texts right? In which sense, I would generally need a related that involves nature. I can find a few relateds that revolve around the downfalls of materialism and the perks of a 'humble and modest' lifestyle which is about the closest I can get.

Sorry I'm finding this related text stuff difficult :confused:
Oh, I know why you're stuck. Ok step back a bit and come up with a link less specific but more broad/ adaptable. It doesn't have to be about nature
e.g. you can stay; 1. Through the process of discovery, individuals are exposed to implicit insights that they otherwise would not come to appreciate (syllabus pt = discovering something for the first time, just rephrased)
then you have your prescribed text: [author's name]'s North Coast depicts how the narrator discovers the simple beauty/purity of nature and its ability to give hope and inspire (see, it proves 1.)
then have a related text that also proves 1.

dirty_ink

HSC
Can I suggest that OP checks out Plato's philosophical dialogue, Allegory of the Cave and the different interpretations behind it? I think you can talk a fair bit about discovery and nature, whilst throwing in some words about materialism if necessary.

Feel free to PM me.

mrpotatoed

HSC
Ah, so you can just make a conceptual statement on discovery, such as statement 1 in your example. and the similarities can be how they both prove statement 1 in their respective ways? They wouldn't necessarily need to have the matching themes / techniques / plot? (I'm guessing it would help though)

And thanks dirty_ink I'll definitely check it out, although it already sounds too complicated for me :p

Last edited:
HSC
Ah, so you can just make a conceptual statement on discovery, such as statement 1 in your example. and the similarities can be how they both prove statement 1 in their respective ways? They wouldn't necessarily need to have the matching themes / techniques / plot? (I'm guessing it would help though)

And thanks dirty_ink I'll definitely check it out, although it already sounds too complicated for me :p
yep exactly. Concepts relating to discovery.

remember it's about proving your point not only comparing the texts =)

mrpotatoed

HSC
Just one last newbie question to wrap it all up, do we assume the marker knows the plot of our related? EG: if you use a book / short story / film, you don't need to provide a sentence recount of the general plot, and can head straight into analysis as you would in the core material?

Do HSC markers research texts, for instance, if they find someone has used a related they haven't heard of before, will they do a general search for it to see if your analysis is correct and not falsified? (for instance, to make sure people don't pull techniques out of the air)

dirty_ink

HSC
I don't think you can expect the marker to know the plot of your related seeing as there are so many possible texts. In my essays, I didn't provide a sentence recount of the plot, because parts of it will naturally emerge through your analysis and elaborations. Quite a few people I know who have received high marks have stated the same thing. You could ask your teacher to advise you on this though. It's up to you.

Not so sure about HSC markers researching techniques or related texts they haven't heard of before, but if they do do a general search for the latter and don't come up with any results, I doubt they'll take it further. Again, quite a few people have made up texts during their HSC exam and haven't been pursued about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)