rnt or jouney to the interior? (1 Viewer)

pig_93

HSC
JUST WONDERING
cos im doing the road not taken for my inner journey, and im a pretty capable student (so they say) and my tutor says that i shouldnt be doing that, instead i should be doing JOURNEY TO THE INTERIOR.

does anyone else agree and reckon i should change... and is it true "everybody" is doing the frost poem, and that it is better to do atwood's instead to prove to markers u are more "able" or whatnot?

any help and personal opinion would be much appreciated.

spanks

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Most people do RNT because it is "easier" to analyse. If you are an able student, then you can anlalyse it in a way where it is more sophisticated and original to others. There is no such thing about picking a text that will distinguish you from "les able" students, if they exist. That is ridiculous. Atwoods poem is a good text to choose too. Make sure you pick the text that is right for you and suitable for your essay-not based on other peoples opnion.

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
pig_93 said:
JUST WONDERING
cos im doing the road not taken for my inner journey, and im a pretty capable student (so they say) and my tutor says that i shouldnt be doing that, instead i should be doing JOURNEY TO THE INTERIOR.

does anyone else agree and reckon i should change... and is it true "everybody" is doing the frost poem, and that it is better to do atwood's instead to prove to markers u are more "able" or whatnot?

spanks
Do whatever you have more information on and..

Ask yourself: which poem relates (similar/contrast) to your additional text more? the further/closer it is, the better. then you can compare and link your essay.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
It depends very much on what text you are doing, and more to the point, what focus you are doing. If you are doing an Imaginative/Inner Journey I would strongly advise to do Journey to the Interior because the links are perfect. That being said, I did Physical Journeys and I also did Journey to the Interior...

It is true that many people use RNT because it is a very popular poem and its nice; nice to listen to and nice to analyse. But it isn't true that you can get higher marks if you use one or the other. What matters is how you analyse the poem and how you link it to your topic and to your texts.

HSC
N/A
Something to add:

I would certainly say a lot of people do "The Road Not Taken" (at least I think that's the title, something like that anyway). If you are going for good marks, you are welcome to choose that poem - but do it well (although that really goes for all the other texts as well).

Choose whichever one you feel more confident with - doing "Journey To The Interior" purely under the assumption that it will get you better marks is poppycock.

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
pig_93 said:
JUST WONDERING

spanks
In the end, it should come down to which text you actually like more. Which one of them really interests you? I did Physical Journeys but I still managed to fit in "Journey to the Interior", and to get a high band six. Your analysis of the text will be greatly improved if you are interested enough in it to formulate a unique interpretation. It doesn't really matter to the markers what text you use, because you can show that you are capable through its' creative application in your essay.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
Ultimately it comes down to which text you are comfortable with, the area of focus you are doing and other texts you are doing. Its important to note that if you do choose the Road Not Taken you must be able to do a thorough analysis because a lot of people will choose that text. However. there would be no sense in choosing Journey to the Interior just because you know that a lot of people do the Road Not Taken, you will obviously need to do a thorough analysis no matter which text you choose.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
pig_93 said:
JUST WONDERING

spanks
I'm doing journey to the interior, mostly because it's the one I chose to do for my assessment and I know it better. yes, it is harder to analyse than rnt, but it really shouldn't matter...pick the one you know best. the criteria the markers used is not biased towards one text or the other.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
personally i would choose jti. but i am doing text 7 for my assessments, using jti as a back up. however, you should be choosing the text tht best fits into you're standard AOS question.

i would also choose jti simply for its additional worth in analysis, therefore more to write about and aeasier to remember sometimes. however, as cro_angel has saisd, you can still use rnt, however, you must stand above the best. there is no point analysing it like the average. this is because you would surely be marked like the average english student.

additionally, this can be applied to all the stimulus booklet choices. you must stand up as an original to ge the top marks. though you may have the same top band, it cold make a difference between a high band 5/6 and a low band 5/6.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
consider which poem suits your thesis best. which one is most adaptable? which one fits in best with the main thematic concerns of your prescribed text and your found texts? remember, nothing stops you from knowing them BOTH well enough to be able to either in an exam, dependant on which one suits the question best. remember, whilst it is true that if you are a capable student you should be able to analyse frost in a more unique way, the truth is this poem is done so often that your analysis will have to be extremely insightful, well-structured and integrated to distinguish itself from the others - and im not pulling that comment out of the air, that was an almost verbatim quote from my father, a senior HSC english marker, when i asked him the same question. if either poem suits your thesis equally, then id go with Atwood - apart from anything else, the poem itself is far more insightful and multi-dimensional than frosts (which is why it is considered to be done by "better" students) which means that if you are "capable" as your tutor says, you should have far greater scope for insightful work and showing your skills than you will with frost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)