rime of the ancient mariner (1 Viewer)

PenelopeK

S Healer
HSC
i have the basic idea of the poem - just wondering if anyone would have any detailed notes on the poem ?

pungpui

HSC
this is the most boring poem of all Coleridges crap.........like an enigizer battery....never stops!

LOL i remember doin this 12 months ago thinking FUCK im so screwed

HSC
lol personally i don't think its the most boring one, although my favourite is this lime tree bower my prison, probably because i make more sense of it. I'm kind of in the same bout as you penelope however i believe that the wedding guest undertakes the imaginative journey and afterwards gains greater understanding about the importance of showing love and reverance to God and Nature. The albatross is simply a metaphor for everything that god has created, and the mariner killing the albatross symbolises humanity and its detsructive way with nature. When we come to see the mariner admiring the water snakes we see how he has been altered and begins to see nature differently, hence he has gained a greater understanding. Now this is gained through a physical journey though, but the weeding guest (and us, the reader) goes on an imaginative journey and in the end comes out with greater understanding. It is obvious that the mariner intentionally chose that weding guest because he did not appreciate God properly (he was going to a wedding for the paty and food) and so the imaginative journey he has taken has made him understand the importance of loving God. Hope that helps, kinda my interpretation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)