Rhyming Dictionary (1 Viewer)

Nadia_

Nadia
HSC
Has anybody heard of the Rhyming Dicionary? my friend told me about it and i bought it for this course... you can look up any word you want and it tells you every word that could possibly rhyme with it. i was amazed at how many it finds, sometimes pages and pages. it has helped me enormously with my MW. it helps for those words that dont seem to rhyme with anything, yet you just cant change the word! lol trust me it helps a lot....
check it out!!

Last edited:

bright_angell

yeah i think i saw one in the library b4....if ur doing short story...how does that help (i think im in the short story section....lol) but yeah its pretty kool-

Nadia_

Nadia
HSC
lol 'bright' angel, this is the poetry section. haha easy mistake.

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
it may be worth me asking now...who here is really investigating much into rhyme for their poetry? a lot of the MW's i've read in poetry have all been exclusively in free-verse, is anyone else here using rhyme in a significant number of works?

Nadia_

Nadia
HSC
I am! i do still have a few free verse, yet most of mine are rhyming and they are coming along pretty well. after a while u no longer need to think of how to rhyme the first line with the next, it just flows out. are most people doing free verse?

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
Nadia_ said:
I am! i do still have a few free verse, yet most of mine are rhyming and they are coming along pretty well. after a while u no longer need to think of how to rhyme the first line with the next, it just flows out. are most people doing free verse?
i'm not entirely sure. there is only one other girl at my school doing ext 2, and her poems seem to all be of the free verse form, and i think i read some work from somebody in this forum who was writing in free-verse, but i dont know. in fact, i think all of the MW's i have read have been free-verse poetry, which is interesting.

so is a rhyming dictionary a really comprehensive thing? does it cover things like half rhyme? i thought the concept seemed really really interesting.

incase i didnt mention, i'm using some rhyme in my work aswell, mostly lyrics, ballads and verse

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
Nadia_ said:
Mine are a combination of both... but the ones that rhyme are truning out better than my free vesre poems..

and to black_ man, I've done some investigation into rhyme not much... but it's sort of an extension of Samuel Tyalor Coleridge's poetic style... (adv. enlish)

I'm experimenting with iambic pentameter, I still need to read about iambic qudrameter... and little blank verse+free verse

physician

HSC
Nadia_ said:
Has anybody heard of the Rhyming Dicionary? my friend told me about it and i bought it for this course... you can look up any word you want and it tells you every word that could possibly rhyme with it. i was amazed at how many it finds, sometimes pages and pages. it has helped me enormously with my MW. it helps for those words that dont seem to rhyme with anything, yet you just cant change the word! lol trust me it helps a lot....
check it out!!
Oh, I've always been interested.,.. does it have anything that rhymes with orange...

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
lol, yeah, i never thought of that. but yeah, thats really clever physician, how you've managed to incorporate the adv. english into your ext. 2 work really really well

rific

HSC
physician said:
I'm experimenting with iambic pentameter, I still need to read about iambic qudrameter...
lol, I hope you find reading about iambs more interesting than I did. And just to set you on the right track, prosody, or the study of verse, is written using the Greek ordinal prefixes: mono, di, tri, tetra, penta, hexa and hepta, generally you don't have more feet in a line than that, even 7 is pushing it, so basically, it's not referred to as quadrameter.

If you really want to impress someone (I'm not sure who'd be impressed, but maybe some of the markers pay attention to these things, lol, but I doubt it), then start exploring the lesser known feet, step away from iambs and into the highly exciting world of trochees, anapeasts, dactyls, and for the exceptionally daring, try a spondee or a pyrrhic or two!!!

lol, sorry, I'm just playing, the above are all poetic forms, but don't worry about them at all, you'll lose sight of what you intended on writing in the first place and no one should get into poetry because of the science involved.

physician

HSC
rific said:
If you really want to impress someone (I'm not sure who'd be impressed, but maybe some of the markers pay attention to these things, lol, but I doubt it), then start exploring the lesser known feet, step away from iambs and into the highly exciting world of trochees, anapeasts, dactyls, and for the exceptionally daring, try a spondee or a pyrrhic or two!!!
Spondee

Definition: The unit of measurement in a line of metrical poetry in which a stressed syllable is followed by another stressed syllable. Using the common metrical notation where a '/' represents a stressed syllable and a 'U' represents an unstressed syllable, a spondee is shown as / / . See also foot.

The adjective spondaic refers to any line that is composed in spondees. Thus spondaic hexameter refers to a line of poetry in which there are six (hex) spondees.

I'll get back to u lol

physician

HSC
http://courses.nus.edu.sg/course/ellibst/lsl04.html

Ahh yes very interesting... (notice the sarcasm) lol... I remember running into something about iambic quadrameter in "17 ceturies of poetry" and somehow it stuck in my head... so i have to go back now and take a look into it...

but thanks for the pointers rific.. greatly apprecaiated...

I havn't even been working on my major work.. oh well 1 more day of holiday... that should be enough... I HOPE

rific

HSC
Nice work Physician, I'm very impressed that you actually bothered to read up and find the definitions, for someone that hasn't worked on their major works during the holidays, sounds like you did a lot of work... lol I know I certainly didn't.

Have fun getting back into your writing, and if you're really desperate to talk about the highly entertaining world of poetic construction, and yes, you would have to be desperate as I can't really see why you'd want to, pm me and I may be able to dig up some old notes and info.

p.s. personally I prefer pyrrhics to spondees, no real reason, I just figure they have a better name :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)