RFTG help (1 Viewer)

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
A teacher at our school, who is a marker for RFTG, gave us this info in relation to analysing texts for RFTG. I hope it helps.

STUDYING FOR RETREAT FROM THE GLOBAL
Any RFTG question will require you to understand and be able to clearly communicate
a few basic concepts, while demonstrating a detailed knowledge of your sources. It is
important to recognise that this is an artificial construct, which WE are applying to
these texts in order to explore the topic, not a concept that would have been in the
composer's mind. You cannot say therefore, that Heaney seeks to retreat from the
global. We see evidence of a retreat from the global in the ideas he explores.
For each text, work out clear and detailed answers to the following questions:
.How does the composer portray the global world in their text? What are the
characteristics of the global world which are evident through the text?
.Why are these characteristics ones which would encourage or necessitate a
retreat? Why, specifically, does the character/persona retreat?
.How does the composer represent the local world in each text? What are the
characteristics of this local world?
.In what ways do these characteristics contribute to the character's / persona's
ability to deal with the global world? Does the retreat provide sustenance?
Respite? Empowerment? Perspective? Clarification? A sense of identity? Re-
evaluation? In other words, how does the retreat impact upon them?
.In what ways is the retreat a temporary one? Does the text involve a return to
the global? How?
Remember also that the techniques used by each composer are an integral part of
their communication of these ideas. You will need to clearly distinguish the medium
and the way in which this impacts upon the delivery of these ideas. How do poetry,
film and novel differ in the way ideas are communicated to the responder? What is
the significance of genre e.g. satire, in this process?
This should make apparent to you the ways in which the texts are similar and the
ways in which they differ.
Once you have a good grasp of these aspects of the texts, you will be able to apply
them to any question. Any creative writing question, as opposed to a text-based
question, will still require you to communicate a sound understanding of these same
concepts. Ensure that anything you write in the exam communicates these ideas.

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
WWAAAHH!!! :(

Why dont we get teachers like that?

I mean, we have an english teacher who is so bad that his year 12 class wrote a petition to get him removed.... it worked. The same teacher taught extension english last year, and every single one of his students dropped english extension.

Another english teacher has been teaching for 28years. This year is her first in teaching english extension. She is doing RFTG, and guess what? One of her students asked her what it was about. She rushed into my class, and asked my teacher the question. She was nearly crying. lol

btw, i go to sbhs. Our english staff department is quite poor. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)